National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all gurus... this is one caliber I will admit, I know little about. On top of that, I have 3 very different bullets. I’m not very educated on loading lead bullets so this thread should be a learning curve for me. I’ve done very little in the way of loading non-jacketed bullets and none in the way of semi-wadcutters. That’s one profile I’ve avoided until now.

First is the 215gr hard cast semi-wadcutter. This appears to be an ordinary hard cast bullet at .411 diameter.

Next is a 210gr semi-wadcutter. Also hard cast but cast with a slightly lighter alloy. Bullet is .410 diameter and is a little longer than the ones above.

Last but certainly not least, is a Sierra 210gr JHC (Jacketed Hollow Cavity). Some type of SP/HP hybrid.

All of these bullets are new to me so feel free to dive in with your knowledge and lend a hand. Your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
99 Posts
I only use Unique powder now for cast lead bullets. Pushing those at mid velocity not exceeding 1000 FPS.
Not liking extra cleaning of my guns ... I try to avoid leading & fouling buildup . I see no advantage to melting lead with extra amounts of gunpowder & speed.
8 gr. of Unique is okay for range ammo. ( revolver ammo)
For hotter loads using my TC/Contender ... H110 has the .41 mag. formula & the advised load is on the label of the plastic can. ( no lower loading for H110 *not advised)

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I used a Hornady 210 gn JHP in my .41. Used both 2800 and H110. The 2800 didn’t burn as clean as I would have liked. The H110 was clean and accurate. Gun was a Smith 657 6”. This was my bear gun and used BB hard cast in the woods.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,277 Posts
I only use Unique powder now for cast lead bullets. Pushing those at mid velocity not exceeding 1000 FPS.
Not liking extra cleaning of my guns ... I try to avoid leading & fouling buildup . I see no advantage to melting lead with extra amounts of gunpowder & speed.
8 gr. of Unique is okay for range ammo. ( revolver ammo)
For hotter loads using my TC/Contender ... H110 has the .41 mag. formula & the advised load is on the label of the plastic can. ( no lower loading for H110 *not advised)
Barrel leading mainly is caused, and can be alleivated, by adjusting two two things: Projectile hardness and projectile speed. The harder the projectile, the faster it can be pushed.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
Calling all gurus... this is one caliber I will admit, I know little about. On top of that, I have 3 very different bullets. I’m not very educated on loading lead bullets so this thread should be a learning curve for me. I’ve done very little in the way of loading non-jacketed bullets and none in the way of semi-wadcutters. That’s one profile I’ve avoided until now.

First is the 215gr hard cast semi-wadcutter. This appears to be an ordinary hard cast bullet at .411 diameter.

View attachment 123841

Next is a 210gr semi-wadcutter. Also hard cast but cast with a slightly lighter alloy. Bullet is .410 diameter and is a little longer than the ones above.

View attachment 123842

Last but certainly not least, is a Sierra 210gr JHC (Jacketed Hollow Cavity). Some type of SP/HP hybrid.

View attachment 123843

All of these bullets are new to me so feel free to dive in with your knowledge and lend a hand. Your input is greatly appreciated.
I used to load the 210 gr Sierra JHC in my Model 57. I had the presentation case and the foam liner disintegrated. Anyway, I sold the gun long ago but I really liked the .41 mag. I had two. One was a T/C Contender Super 14 in .41 mag. I sent the Contender barrel off to J.D. Jones of SSK industries and had it rechambered in .411 JDJ (hand cannon). The .411 JDJ took full length .444 Marlin rifle brass necked to .41 caliber. It was a proverbial hoot to shoot. It was a great 100-yard pistol.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts

View attachment 123841

View attachment 123842

View attachment 123843

I used to load the 210 gr Sierra JHC in my Model 57. I had the presentation case and the foam liner disintegrated. Anyway, I sold the gun long ago but I really liked the .41 mag. I had two. One was a T/C Contender Super 14 in .41 mag. I sent the Contender barrel off to J.D. Jones of SSK industries and had it rechambered in .411 JDJ (hand cannon). The .411 JDJ took full length .444 Marlin rifle brass necked to .41 caliber. It was a proverbial hoot to shoot. It was a great 100-yard pistol.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a Hornady 210 gn JHP in my .41. Used both 2800 and H110. The 2800 didn’t burn as clean as I would have liked. The H110 was clean and accurate. Gun was a Smith 657 6”. This was my bear gun and used BB hard cast in the woods.
I have ample H110 at the moment. Do you recall the speed / power behind those loads?

Barrel leading mainly is caused, and can be alleivated, by adjusting two two things: Projectile hardness and projectile speed. The harder the projectile, the faster it can be pushed.
This brings me to the question of gas checks and when they should they be used.

I bet that was a handful

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have ample H110 but that seems powerful for these lead bullets. Will the hard cast or lino bullets be able to handle that kind of power?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ok, first off, brain fart, it is 2400 not 2800. I was using 16 gn of 2400 which printed ok but was dirty. I used 20 gn of H110 which printed really well and was cleaner. I really don't measure speed and never push the high end, just try to find what the gun likes. I sold the Smith last year, dies and all since #1 son wasn't interested in it. Where I hunt now I haven't seem any bear sign in the 6 yrs. I've been there not to say there won't ever be any since the bear population in Florida is gowing like weeds.

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
I'll also add proper bullet size to the bore. Cast bullets should be .001 bigger than the bore diameter. If they are smaller gasses can get between the bullet and bore causing leading also. This isn't usually such a big deal on modern guns because they are usually consistent.

Also not sure if anyone mentioned it but linotype is just a type of lead made to a certain hardness. It has it's name because it's what's used in linotype machine which are a type of printing press. If you ever come across lead in thin strips with letters, numbers or words on the edge that's linotype. it's suitable for all magnum pistol and rifle cast bullets. It's around 22 BHN.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
I have ample H110 at the moment. Do you recall the speed / power behind those loads?

This brings me to the question of gas checks and when they should they be used.

I bet that was a handful
I put a 2.5-6 power scope on it so it weighed about 4 pounds. I also had Pachmayr grips on it so it wasn't really all that bad. I think it was producing about 2,400 ft-lbs muzzle energy.

·
Live Free
3,688 Posts
It has been a while since I loaded any .41 mag. When I did I was loading for a 4” model 57 and a 6” 657. I never really got to excited with the cartridge, and sold both revolvers after a few years. The only loads I have records on are the following;

170 grain Sierra on top of 21.0 of AA #9
210 grain Hornady XTP on top of 18.5 of AA #9

Both were very accurate in both guns. I also developed some loads with H110 and N110, but I cannot find the data anymore.

Regarding cast lead, I would think if the bullets are decent hardness and right diameter you can push em pretty hard. I pushed cast bullets pretty hard in 44 Mag and .45 Colt without any leading using H110. Great hunting loads.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
It has been a while since I loaded any .41 mag. When I did I was loading for a 4” model 57 and a 6” 657. I never really got to excited with the cartridge, and sold both revolvers after a few years. The only loads I have records on are the following;

170 grain Sierra on top of 21.0 of AA #9
210 grain Hornady XTP on top of 18.5 of AA #9

Both were very accurate in both guns. I also developed some loads with H110 and N110, but I cannot find the data anymore.

Regarding cast lead, I would think if the bullets are decent hardness and right diameter you can push em pretty hard. I pushed cast bullets pretty hard in 44 Mag and .45 Colt without any leading using H110. Great hunting loads.
I'd have to locate my old notebooks but I believe that I put 20-20.5 gr H110 behind the 210 gr Sierras.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
Please do. Load data is scarce
I found my notes. I was using 20 to 20.5 gr with Sierra 210 gr in the Model 57 but I had some cases separating after 2-3 reloads. The primers looked OK but the pressures were high for the Model 57. However, with 210 gr Hornady JHPs, I didn't have the problem so I stayed at 20 gr with those bullets. Apparently, I got the best accuracy with 19.0 gr of H110. I hope that this helps.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The load data from Hodgdon seems a bit hot by your notes.

Even at their low end it’s generating over 1,000 ft lbs.

Add about 300fps from a 20” barrel and those will be screaming coming out of that Henry. Somewhere to to the tune of 1450 ft lbs. That’s spicy.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts