National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a couple of internet articles on the S&W being outdated..... can anyone explain why and/or recommend a good option. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Caliber fan boi written articles who want to shut the door on the 40SW for good while they have the chance. These fanbois loved it when they heard that most departments are switching back to 9mm. And then you have the band wagon'ers jumping on board with what ever caliber the departments switch to, saying its their favorite caliber. Then both spouting bullet design, new powders, bla bla bla. Well sunshines don't you think that the same holds true for the 40?

Give it time, when the departments switch back to 40SW or 357SIG. Usually happens. Then you'll hear the band wagon'ers yelling "yea (insert caliber) its the best!" and the 9mm fan bois bi%^$, crying and complaining in disbelief. The 40 is going now where.

For that much neither is the 357SIG. The 357SIG is a proven round and if it was called 9mm Magnum when it first came out the 9mm fanbois would've been all over it touting how powerful the 9mm round is. Heck, most firearms get a barrel swap and magazine for the 357SIG in your 40SW firearm and you're now shooting 357SIG.
Now remember there all ready was a 9mm Magnum YEARS ago (70's if I remember right), It was a wild cat round that really didn't go now where. Don't know to much bout it just that it did exist and it was sometime round the 70's yet didn't stick round long. The 357SIG is smaller cartridge then the 9mmM and compact pistols can be carried with the 357SIG cartridge. The 9mmM was a long cartridge I believe.

If I'm not right bout the 9mmM then someone please straighten me out, thanks!

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
10mm=40sw magnum :cornut:

Reactions: QuickdrawMcgraw

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
I doubt the 40 is going anywhere. it's too widely used and mass produced. It may drop down a notch or two like the .38sp but it isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's not "on it's way out", it's just on it's way to the middle of the caliber pack.

It was top dog, while the FBI and major agencies were using it, now they have gone back to the 9mm, their
justification being "improved ballistics". (really lame) Now, a lot of people want to dump all over it, and you can benefit
from that, right now, as a lot of 40S&W is on sale, cheap, if you act now.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
the market fluctuates and responds to outside influences.....

almost in knee-jerk fashion.

frankly, i think nowadays it is much more marketing hype that creates an excuse to buy more expensive ammo and guns....the current crop of super ammunition is designed under these two top priorities......

1. be purchased in quantity by consumers and create brand loyalty.......
2. perform (hopefully) as advertised......

i am not brand or caliber loyal in most formats.....i do have preferences.
i prefer penetration first......then expansion......in that order.......

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
The 40 is not going away. And it will be available easier. If there is another ''ammo shortage''. Due to panic buyers.

Reactions: deputy

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Caliber du jour. 9 mm is a good round and started the higher capacity auto rage. Now 9 mm ammo is cheap so it’s getting popular again. The 40 is a great round and will be popular for many more years, just not a HOT selling caliber. The new Ruger 5.something. Whatever is going to get popular since the military is going towards it. Everyone wants to be on the cutting edge with the latest and greatest.

·
Live Free
2,867 Posts
I got .40 mags for my CZ really cheap not long ago from CZ as the .40 has declined from top dog slot. Things will change again...new ideas and effective marketing brings change...but the .40 is far from going away.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Caliber fan boi written articles who want to shut the door on the 40SW for good while they have the chance. These fanbois loved it when they heard that most departments are switching back to 9mm. And then you have the band wagon'ers jumping on board with what ever caliber the departments switch to, saying its their favorite caliber. Then both spouting bullet design, new powders, bla bla bla. Well sunshines don't you think that the same holds true for the 40?

Give it time, when the departments switch back to 40SW or 357SIG. Usually happens. Then you'll hear the band wagon'ers yelling "yea (insert caliber) its the best!" and the 9mm fan bois bi%^$, crying and complaining in disbelief. The 40 is going now where.

For that much neither is the 357SIG. The 357SIG is a proven round and if it was called 9mm Magnum when it first came out the 9mm fanbois would've been all over it touting how powerful the 9mm round is. Heck, most firearms get a barrel swap and magazine for the 357SIG in your 40SW firearm and you're now shooting 357SIG.
Now remember there all ready was a 9mm Magnum YEARS ago (70's if I remember right), It was a wild cat round that really didn't go now where. Don't know to much bout it just that it did exist and it was sometime round the 70's yet didn't stick round long. The 357SIG is smaller cartridge then the 9mmM and compact pistols can be carried with the 357SIG cartridge. The 9mmM was a long cartridge I believe.

If I'm not right bout the 9mmM then someone please straighten me out, thanks!

I don't see your average police force switching back. Most cops are not gun nuts like us, add in smaller stature females and others, and the .40 is tough to master. Then add in lower ammo costs, higher mag capacity and IMO, the 9mm is here to stay. Now, some specialty units might go 40 or 10mm, even 45ACP, but the average cop is armed adequately with a 9mm

Reactions: Wag and RMLamp

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
i believe the advantage of the 9 is more about less snap and better qual scores for the general ranks....whom are dismal shots as it is........

ammo costs can affect small depts to a degree......providing they can justify and budget the switch to a new handgun to go with the caliber change...............

larger depts.....they do not feel the pinch much on ammo contracts...but they do love to make announcements about how much money they are saving switching to the nine...as the justification for getting new guns....but never seem to talk much about how bad a beating they are taking trading in their 40 caliber guns for new 9mm guns.

seem to be a lot of trading in going on......and these used guns are in good shape.....far from worn out.

Reactions: Wag

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,922 Posts
Some thoughts.

Agency trade-ins are almost always good deals. Carried a lot but shot a little. Qualified armorer maintained. Some of the pistols traded-in are unfired, still in preservative, just the way they were purchased. Among others, I got two SIG=Sauer pistols like that. A P.220 in .45 ACP and a P.226 in 9x19mm.

Personally, I prefer the .357 SIG round to either .40 S&W or 9x19mm in a full sized pistol. Too bad it didn't ake off.

I do not believe the .40 S&W round, and pistols chambered in it, are going anywhere any time soon. Its a fine round when chambered in a full sized pistol.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,251 Posts
IMHO, the .40S&W is temporarily "out of favor" with the shooting public, until whenever the FBI/military/etc. decides to move back to the .40S&W. Then people will want the .40S&W again.

·
Barney
107 Posts
i believe the advantage of the 9 is more about less snap and better qual scores for the general ranks....whom are dismal shots as it is........

ammo costs can affect small depts to a degree......providing they can justify and budget the switch to a new handgun to go with the caliber change...............

larger depts.....they do not feel the pinch much on ammo contracts...but they do love to make announcements about how much money they are saving switching to the nine...as the justification for getting new guns....but never seem to talk much about how bad a beating they are taking trading in their 40 caliber guns for new 9mm guns.

seem to be a lot of trading in going on......and these used guns are in good shape.....far from worn out.
I think you are right and those are factors. The range officers I've talked to about it also site that the trend is toward carrying more ammo. Officers are carrying three or four extra mags. I guess it all adds up, weight and size.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Every gun shop I’ve been to in a years time has said it’s a dying caliber. People are moving away from the 40 back to the 9 with recent bullet technology. There’s no reason for less capacity, snappier recoil, more expensive ammo anymore when the last few years 9mm ballistics testing is showing we have moved past the need for the 40. Those reasons don’t change the 40’s downfall so you can’t make it hotter without increasing its negatives. It’s already too snappy, you’d only make that worse You can’t change it’s size and lower capacity. While it is still in heavy use it won’t be going anywhere “tomorrow”, it is still becoming less useful and more of a burden so it is indeed dying.

·
Live Free
2,867 Posts
Every gun shop I’ve been to in a years time has said it’s a dying caliber. People are moving away from the 40 back to the 9 with recent bullet technology. There’s no reason for less capacity, snappier recoil, more expensive ammo anymore when the last few years 9mm ballistics testing is showing we have moved past the need for the 40. Those reasons don’t change the 40’s downfall so you can’t make it hotter without increasing its negatives. It’s already too snappy, you’d only make that worse You can’t change it’s size and lower capacity. While it is still in heavy use it won’t be going anywhere “tomorrow”, it is still becoming less useful and more of a burden so it is indeed dying.
Bullet technology benefits all calibers, not just the 9mm. The .40 is still more powerful and thus exceeds the capabilities of the 9mm...that is just simple data speaking. Sure a lot of folks sway with the FBI, but the FBI has a habit of changing their wee minds a lot too. Some folks are already feeling the magazine capacity pinch where they live, so capacity is not a factor for them. As much as I stand against magazine capacity restrictions, they are still being imposed and the anti gun crowd is going to keep nibbling away at that, so I suspect there will be losses and gains politically, but the high capacity magazine is not a blessing to all.

Yeah there are those who say the .40 is too snappy...there are always going to be those who want max velocity and power without any recoil. They will stick with the 9mm like religion, but there are many of us that find the recoil not nearly anything to be whining about, and the magazine capacity is pretty fair. I do not feel short changed with 9 +1 in my .40 sub-compact at all.

.40 dying? Not hardly!

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
I don't see your average police force switching back. Most cops are not gun nuts like us, add in smaller stature females and others, and the .40 is tough to master. Then add in lower ammo costs, higher mag capacity and IMO, the 9mm is here to stay. Now, some specialty units might go 40 or 10mm, even 45ACP, but the average cop is armed adequately with a 9mm

40 being tough to master is subjective and the ability of not practicing with the firearm does not help. I do see what your getting at, just. Armed cop still needs to know how to shoot properly with their +P rounds which the fan bois of 9mm scream its the same as the 40SW round - ballistics wise. So if they claim this then why isn't this +p rounds hurting their hands and why aren't they unable to control it? Is the 9mm some magic round? All joking put off I still don't see where the 9mm is being the same as the 40, with respects to ballistics and unscientific bullet wound testing. Now the 40 isn't that much more then the 9mm for target rounds - 50 box possibly two dollars more...not going to break the bank, +p rounds would be close to similar in pricing or if not the same - depending where you look.

9mm only gets one extra round possibly two, and I see no difference with it being the deciding factor. Is 15 enough or is 17 enough to stop the threat? With cops doing mag dump and reloading mag dump again reloading then repeat often I say give them revolvers or ban them to ten round magazines. Then lets see which caliber they prefer then. When they have radios, vests, back up firearms, and an arsenal in their trunk I don't see one or two rounds being the deciding factor for department use. If they are switching because of officers not being able to handle recoil then that speaks tons of the officers they have and been hiring.

Air Marshals from what I understand still carry the 357 SIG and so did some local and state departments across the country. Our state police carry the 45 ACP while most local police carry the 9.

To be honest, I really don't care what the cops use for a cartridge. People can say what they want to defend the cops choice for going to their favorite caliber, I don't care though I will point out stuff. If they want to use inferior cartridges because its easier to handle and wont hurt their hands, so be it. Who am I to say what they carry...… though, I hear the CZ 82 is am excellent firearm and in 9x18mm too! - a Mak 9 so to speak :lol: (oh please I hope that doesn't catch on for the 9x18 Makarov)

I see where you're coming from just I'm pointing things out I see.

40 is not going anywhere and the departments will (most of) eventually switch away from the 9mm again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts