National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking to add some cool and unique black powder guns to my collection. I have come across several 4 barrel pistols once used in the 18th and 19th centuries but can’t seems to find anyone who makes a working replica. Any thoughts? The only thing close I’ve come across is Taylor’s & Co 1851 Navy Pepperbox which int exactly what I’m looking for.

· Registered
17,528 Posts
I don't know if anyone currently makes a repro pepperbox but i do know they have been made in the past. Check places like gun broker or other online site and you should be able to find some. Most BP guns don't have a high resale value and they weren't that expensive to begin with so you might find a good deal.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if anyone currently makes a repro pepperbox but i do know they have been made in the past. Check places like gun broker or other online site and you should be able to find some. Most BP guns don't have a high resale value and they weren't that expensive to begin with so you might find a good deal.
Thanks for the tip. I did see a couple old Pepperboxes I liked, i also found 2 more to add to my list..

I am in love with this one, LeMat 9rd .44 + 20ga center barrel. At $1600, it’ll stay on my list a while. That’s a lot for a replica powder gun.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product

And this, 1862 Dance engraved, more within budget.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

· Registered
17,528 Posts
yes there are some originals you could even pick up at a decent price, not all old BP guns are worth a lot, some go very cheap. pepperboxes usually go for a bit more because of the coolness factor though. pretty sure i have seen some functional ones in the $300 or less range before. Just your typical small brass frame 4 barrel .32 caliber style. I have actually been wanting one myself but between my want list looking like an encyclopedia and not working sort of changes those plans.

Reactions: Philmo11

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes there are some originals you could even pick up at a decent price, not all old BP guns are worth a lot, some go very cheap. pepperboxes usually go for a bit more because of the coolness factor though. pretty sure i have seen some functional ones in the $300 or less range before. Just your typical small brass frame 4 barrel .32 caliber style. I have actually been wanting one myself but between my want list looking like an encyclopedia and not working sort of changes those plans.
Oh, I’m having to adjust my budget as well. I’ve spent so much this year on guns, it’s time to reel it in a bit and get some other things paid off. Black powder has always been on the list. I can walk into Cabela’s and for $200-$300 buy a decent black powder pistol that’ll make me almost as happy as buying a $750 centerfire revolver, which if SAA would be $750 x2. To me it’s all about the fun... and it takes a lot longer to blow through ammo, haha. Some models have conversion cylinders that can be bought later to shoot centerfire (although as expensive as the gun itself).

· Registered
17,528 Posts
Yes they are a lot of fun but there are other expenses associated with using BP guns. Most of the stuff is cheap individually but it does add up. A lot of it isn't needed but it makes shooting and cleaning much easier. Powder measures, capping tools, anti seize(for the nipples), grease, lubes or lubed wads for shooting, bullet pullers.nipple/flash hole picks etc. I have a whole box full of stuff and it can be a pain to drag everything out to shoot. Cleaning is a must when you're done. You can't go shoot and set it on the bench and think I'll clean it tomorrow or the next day because you'll come back to a rusty mess. If you dive into this buy real BP and not a substitute. I used pyrodex and after reading stuff on here and talking with a local guy i found that it cleans easier and is less likely to give you a malfunction. Hot soapy water is the best way to start the cleaning, it will remove 80-90& of the fouling rather quickly and then i just clean like a regular gun after. make sure it's dry and oiled when done and it's not a bad idea to go back and check them a few days or a week later to see if you find any rust....which it will do if you miss a spot. Not trying to deter you, just a warning. BP is super fun to shoot but after all the work you'll find you won't shoot them all that much. They are also addicting too,i think I'm up to 11 or 12 between revolvers, rifles, shotguns and muskets, a few are cartridge and the rest are front stuffers.
If you don't mind buying used you can pick up many BP revolvers and rifles in the $75 to $150 range too.

Oh and the one Mad posted above is a replica gun which means it's non firing, repros are generally a functioning gun so if you order one online it's something to watch for to make sure you're getting what you want.

Another thing to watch for is the difference between brass and steel frames. Brass revolvers are perfectly fine but the powder charges will be lower than steel frame guns, usually around half so make sure you check that difference when looking up loads. Also you CAN'T use a cartridge conversion cylinder on a brass frame gun.

Reactions: Philmo11 and Popeye

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a ton Square. Btw, you have any experience with hardened white steel? I see a couple listed. They rust as easy as regular steel or is it more like stainless? Something like Pietta’s “Old Silver” models. They have a stainless 1858 as well but if the polished white steel holds up, I may try that route. They have an open top I like.

· Registered
17,528 Posts
I'm not sure what hardened white steel is unless it just means steel in the white which is no finish. I'm not 100% sure but i don't think they will rust any faster than blued guns as long as you take the proper cleaning and oiling steps. My brown bess is in the white along with my .577 snider and haven't had any rusting issues with them. I had some minor rusting issues when i first got into BP shooting but it was mostly just learning how to clean them properly and thoroughly. That's why i mentioned going back in a few days to check. In the past i had one get some slight rust in the bore and another revolver where the center pin started to rust to the cylinder. Both cases were my fault for not doing a good enough job cleaning and they cleaned up fine. Had i not checked them for a long time it could have been a big problem. I also usually do complete tear downs about every 2nd or 3rd shooting to clean out the fouling and minor rusting that happens in the inner works. The only part i don't tear down is the lock mechanisms only because i don't have the tools for the flat springs but everything is accessible to clean and oil when taken off.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was reading through some forum posts and someone contacted Pietta about the white finish on old silver. They said it’s White hardened steel. Another forum post, someone said when they took the gun apart, there was evidence of case hardening, along with some leftover polish, which he suggested they might have case hardened then buffed the color out. Thing is, real white steel is already significantly harder than blue steel. Sounds like no one really knows, it’s all speculation. Idk what to believe. In reality, it’s probably like you said and just white finish.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think I’m gonna get my feet wet with this one. Pietta Stainless 1858 New Army .44.

Firearm Gun Trigger Ranged weapon Revolver

Later on I can pick one of these .45 Colt conversation cylinders up for about $250 for those times I just don’t want to mess with black powder. Or run out of supplies. I have 3 other .45 Colt guns and reloading now so chance of me running out of .45 Colt are slim. This one should just be a cylinder change.

View attachment 108396

Ill eventually find the 4 barrel I was looking for...

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and looked at that thing over the weekend. I was not impressed. At the $400 mark, I expect the fit and finish to be a little better. At the $500 mark, there is a 12” barrel version with adjustable rear sights. If I go this route, I think I’ll hold out for that one. That’s a big if. After the conversion cylinder, I’m looking at $750 +tax. I could buy a much nicer revolver at that price. The rest of the display pistols at Cabela’s were pretty rough. May be looking at a different brand. So far I’m not a fan of Pietta.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.