National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aim true !
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LGS has a new RIA GI model for 410.00 OTD. I do not have a GI model yet in my 1911 collection. I checked other web sites and he has them all beat in price. Really thinking about getting it.

·
Aim true !
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks. I agree too on the RIA'S being reliable.

·
AZHerper
3,522 Posts
RIA 1911’s are dependable, and .38 Super is good caliber, even if it is not really popular. And it would give you another caliber to reload! What could be bad about any of that? Go for it!

Yeah, it is not a bad price either.
I agree. I have a friend with a .38 Super 1911 and he really likes it. Back in the days when you buy guns by mail, I bought a Star pistol that was advertised as 9mm Luger. In fact they shipped me a bunch of 9mm Luger (9x19) ammo with it. I was getting a lot of week primer strikes so I took it to a local smith. He told me that it was not 9mm Luger but 9mm Largo/Bergman-Bayard (9x23). The slide was marked 9mm/38. He also told me that although there was a slight difference in rim diameter that all of the Star semi-autos chambered for 9mm Largo fired 38 Super fine. From then on, I loaded it with 38 Super and it worked fine. No misfeeds or misfires.

·
Aim true !
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As soon as i know he has it in stock. Im ording dies. I hear you on the sights Deputy. What im going to do. Is put fluorescent orange on the front sight, And white on the back. It works pretty good on lower profile sights.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have an RIA 1911 and a 38 Super 1911 but not an RIA in 38 Super.

RIA makes a solid, reliable 1911 that is good value for money. Mine is a 45 acp compact FDE cerakote that was made special for Lipsey's. It has the adjustable "Novak-type" sights. I like it and I carry it a lot. Digests all ammo.

I have a Kimber Team Match II in 38 Super. I'm not a good enough shot to take full advantage of the pistol. 38 Super is just that. It is what 9mm Parabellum wants to be when it grows up. Much less recoil than a 45, and in a steel 1911, less recoil than a polymer 40 S&W.

Here's the kink in the garden hose. As far as I know, RIA only offers the 38 Super in its GI model with tiny fixed sights. The big thing about 38 Super is hard hitting accuracy. The sights on my Kimber are very finely adjustable indeed. The fixed combat sights on the GI model are "torso at 10 yards". It's fairly unlikely that whatever ammo or handloads you use are going to shoot to the fixed sights POA. So, that kind of kills the benefit of 38 Super. With 230 grs 45acp, torso at 10 yards is good enough. With 38 Super, I want fine tuning.

Hopefully, I am mistaken and the RIA has adjustable sights, in which case it's a winner.

·
Registered
18,233 Posts
The .38 Super is a very effective cartridge in the power games (table pin shooting) and now that most all guns chambered for it of modern and current manufacture are made to headspace the cartridge on the case mouth, as opposed to the original spacing on the rim, the guns chambered for it are amazingly accurate. The Springfield Mil-Spec featured in John Taffins "ACME Lipstick Bullets" article (May 2020 GUNS issue) was loaded with five (5) different "coated bullets" of differing weight and shapes (122 gr. thru what appears to be 150 gr.), and were found to deliver just over 1 inch groups with the tall fixed sights the Mil Spec arrives with. A Kimber Stainless Target II produced groups at just under the one inch mark with the ACME "red coated" bullets. The Mil Spec velocities were 1,100+ and 1.185 FPS while the Kimber loads were clocked at 1,175 FPS.

·
Aim true !
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be picking up this afternoon. Range report to follow. It's in the 60's and sunny. Great day for some plinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts