National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine gave me a bunch of misc. reloading stuff awhile back. Several partial boxes of bullets that i'm loading up, anywhere from 20-50 pills per open pack. One is a older hornady v-max 35 gr .224 bullet.Not worried about twist rates, accuracy etc, just want to load them up to plink with but i can't find any data for bullets this small except for barnes 36gr bullets. Normally i would just use that data being the weight is only 1gr off but i think i remember reading before you shouldn't use barnes bullet data for other bullets. I don't ever use barnes bullet so I'm not sure if it's true or the reasoning behind it if it is. is it ok to use that data? Also while i was looking i checked all the other .22 cal. rounds in several manuals and don't see anything being used under 40gr. except for that one .223/barnes bullet load. What are these used for? Even looked in a older hornady book ad figured they would be in there but nothing below 40gr.

·
Registered
18,611 Posts
Most all "proprietary" bullets from individuals manufacturers have been tested and found to require loading to "specific pressures/velocities" to ensure the "proprietary performance" of that specific bullet. It is not an advisory against "pressures" per se, but one that addresses performance (example: certain expansion at certain ranges due to tested velocity). I don't think there's enough bearing surface on those tiny pills to create drag to the extent that pressures would be a major concern. Just my opinion on the bearing surface.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i did some searching around and i do think they are mostly for .22 hornets but i see nothing about them being thin walled. I did see comments about them exploding on impact which is sort of normal for very small fast bullets. I see from the many questions i found that there isn't much load data or any for some calibers but lots of people do use them using other modified recipes for close weight like the .40gr. I might just do this and run the middle of the 40gr charge. I seen quite a few other reduced loads(around the 10gr range) using pistol powders like red and blue dot, 231 and WST. I think that's the first time i have seen loads like that for small calibers, usually it's bigger caliber and mostly with cast bullets. Not sure I'm willing to try that. I only have 52 bullets and was going to load up 50 and toss 2 in my lead scrap. I just hate to waste them all. if i throw them in the melt pot i might get 1 45-70 bullet out of it, lol. Funny there isn't much info especially since the box they are in is an older hornady box with the name written on the sides of the box rather than just the front label.

Oh and i seen more about not using barnes bullet loads. They are copper which makes the bullets bigger with much more bearing surface so the pressure would be way different. Kind of rang a bell when i was reading but like i said i never used barnes before. Also something about a coating as well.

Reactions: RMLamp

·
Banned
79 Posts
Most all "proprietary" bullets from individuals manufacturers have been tested and found to require loading to "specific pressures/velocities" to ensure the "proprietary performance" of that specific bullet. It is not an advisory against "pressures" per se, but one that addresses performance (example: certain expansion at certain ranges due to tested velocity). I don't think there's enough bearing surface on those tiny pills to create drag to the extent that pressures would be a major concern. Just my opinion on the bearing surface.
+1

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know if this will help or not. They have data for 35 grain.
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Here is a thread i found too on the 35 grain vmax.
35gr v max 223 load question?? | Shooters' Forum

Cool thanks! I hardly ever look up loads online being i have a boat ton of books but every once in awhile i come across one......Anyway the Hodgdon site had a .223 load using H322 which is what i used on all the other bullet weights i loaded yesterday. It's basically what i was going to try, same as the middle/upper end .40gr bullet weight charge i was going to use. I feel better about it now.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
AZHerper
3,735 Posts
I think that you're "right on target" Steve.

·
Genius in Training
488 Posts
35gr out of a 223 would be absolutely hauling. Being made for 22 Hornet makes sense but if it is made for 223 it is probly a fast, flat varmint round. With a 20in barrel I wouldn't be surprised if you could get close to 4000fps with that light of a bullet.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not looking to break speed records,just didn't want to waste the bullets. I loaded them the other day and maybe next time i bring a .223 to the range i'll bring a few just to make sure there isn't any weird pressure signs. Stayed at the bottom of the load and used 24.5gr. of H322

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 10 of 10 Posts