National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Sorry if this is a total noob post and has been done already, but I'm brand new to the forum. I know the .44 Mag vs .357 Mag question may bring on a Ford vs Chevy kind of debate, but that's kind of what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for some opinions from experienced shooters, loaders, and woodsman. I've shot revolvers but never owned one. I have a Glock .40, & S&W .40 pistols. I also have several rifles including a Winchester 30-30 Model 64A lever gun.

What I'm looking for is a revolver and lever combo for back country all purpose use. Not looking to survive urban warfare or a zombie apocalypse, just wilderness use. I want the ammo to be interchangeable between the handgun and rifle so I was thinking .357 mag or .44 mag with the versatility of .38 and .44 special rounds as well.

So if you were going to load your own ammo and survive in the wilderness of Alaska or Northern Montana, what would choose? For the loaders out there, which ammo is the most accessible and easier to load?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have both calibers in rifles and revolvers. Since you mentioned Alaska, if I had to choose only one, it would be the 44. I wouldn't want to rely on a 357 for large game - especially dangerous game like a bear.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
What he said. I have both .357 lever/ handgun combo and .44 mag lever/handgun combo---- Alaska would call for the .44-- no bears in Texas last time I looked but up in the area you mentioned I would literally be armed for bear and large animals.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
So if you were going to load your own ammo and survive in the wilderness of Alaska or Northern Montana, what would choose? For the loaders out there, which ammo is the most accessible and easier to load?
.44 Magnum, no question. There are big critters possessing teeth and claws larger than mine who reside there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 4" is kind of what I was thinking too. Seems like a well-rounded size. I think that's the model 629 in stainless.

·
55,659 Posts
While hunting, I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel. I use 305 gr hardcast projectiles moving at approximately 1350 fps. When shooting 'heavies' the longer barrel and Ruger's robust frame come into their own and outshine most other revolvers.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Most of my Rugers have a 4 5/8" barrel. I don`t shoot the hardcast bullets like Popeye but in that country, it would be a consideration. And yes, the heavier frame Rugers come into their own when dealing with heavy loads.

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
Sometime before 1955, one of my great uncles killed a brown bear with a 357 Mag. He hunted and shot with a pistol almost exclusively. I have 357 Mag handguns (Ruger Blackhawks) and a Mod 92 Winchester chambered in 357 Mag also. It's a great combination ........... for South Texas ... if you're not hunting deer.

If you're just traipsing around in Alaska and such where you might kick up a big brown furry people eater, you'd sure want the 44 Mag. or much more!

Alan

·
55,659 Posts
Once upon a time I owned a Magnum Research BFR (Biggest Finest Revolver) with a 10" barrel that was chambered in .45-70 Spg. I also own a Marlin 1895MA chambered in .45-70 Spg. This might be my chosen pair for a long gun and a handgun, in the same caliber, for use in Alaska.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah, but with all that iron, you might have to hire a Sherpa, Popeye!

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
A 45-70 matchup would give you just about all you'd need in any situation.

Alan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll look into that 45-70 combo for Brown Bear country, thanks. When I'm hunting in Oregon (Non-brown Bear country) I typically archery hunt and carry my Glock 27. (compact in .40) In the north east we have wolves, and the rest of the state has lots of black bears and lions. I want to start packing a full frame. Probably won't need the .44 fire power for archery here, so what do you guys think? Revolver or pistol? I was leaning towards a 1911 since, well I don't have one anyway and how the hell can I be an American without a 1911.

·
55,659 Posts
For serious business against four legged critters, I always choose a large caliber revolver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just curious Popeye; why revolver over semi-auto? Reliability, ease of use, and less moving parts? Again, I've shot revolvers but never owned one or relied on one for my life, but those were some of the reasons that turned me onto a large caliber revolver for Brown Bear country.

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
Semi auto in 45-70? I'm starting to hurt all over just thinking about that one.

Alan

·
55,659 Posts
Just curious Popeye; why revolver over semi-auto? Reliability, ease of use, and less moving parts? Again, I've shot revolvers but never owned one or relied on one for my life, but those were some of the reasons that turned me onto a large caliber revolver for Brown Bear country.
RELIABILITY!! You may be betting your life on the machine working properly when needed.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts