National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,657 Posts
I like T.G for plated or jacketed. But for coated in 9mm and .380 i had bad leading. But in 38 and 357 loads not to much leading. I changed to sport pistol for 9mm and .380.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I use it for .45 Colt. Unfortunately I am now out. I gifted my Vaquero to my oldest, he fell in love with it, along with 250 plated HPs, and 250 I loaded for him and the rest of the pound I used to load them. Didn't give him any primers though. I only have 250 left for my BP and Cowboy loads for my conversion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
11,657 Posts
One of my manuals has rifle data for 357 44 mag ect. I'll look and see if T.G is listed. What grain bullet are you loading?

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 158gr Berry’s. I just tested 6.0gr of Tite Group with a pretty stable 1260 fps. I believe these are good to 1,500 FPS. I checked the diameter of expansion and both the Lil gun and Tite Group expanded fully at .381

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6.1gr of Tite Group is the max in my book @ 41,900 CUP for 1229 fps. It wasn’t far off from this gun. I am curious what .38 special will do. I am only taking an educated guess at this but most handgun loads are from 6”-8” barrels. Somewhere between 8” and 20” the load probably started losing steam. If that’s true, we will definitely see that in 38 special. I don’t recall the powder I tried when trying to balance 6” revolver and 20” rifle loads but one of them produced 800+ from the revolver and 268 FPS from the Henry. Fast powders aren’t ideal but that powder would not have been Tite Group so let’s give it a try.

The Lil Gun loads Max at 18gr for 1577 fps @ 25,800 CUP. Which produced an actual 2036-2060 FPS. Book says I can drop to 16gr but only shows a -73 fps difference. If I can safely get them down to 1,700 fps, I’ll try accuracy testing, however, my bullet stock is extremely low, only have maybe 20 or so (guessing). I may get a good load and run out of bullets.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I load 38 special, I have read that there is no difference in 38 +P brass and standard 38 special other than the head stamp. Anyone know of this is true? If so, I will never own a 38 special other than a .357 so I will take it in consideration when loading.

·
Aim true !
11,657 Posts
Cool sounds like you got it. My books had no listing in T.G for rifle. The lyman 4th cast and their 50th have data for revolver cartridges in rifle data. On the 38 special i never really paid attention to if the brass was plus p or not.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
16gr of Lil Gun still cranked out 1886 FPS. Still too hot. 2 of the 3 clocked at 1886 indicated by the duplicate flash on the screen. The 3rd errored out.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a Tite Group loaf for 38 special +P, going to try that. Book says 905 fps @ 19,300 CUP. That’s the baseline.

For the record, I am not using small magnum primers in these loads. CCI standard small pistol primers only. That does make a difference.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried a max 38 special +P load with Unique @ 5.2 gr. While not as stable as the original load I used, it was more stable than the Tite Group, coming in @ 976, 986, 998. I can handle 22 FPS variance. 80 FPS is a bit much.

The .357 loads seem decent. There was only 5-6 FPS variance. It’s stable but @1260, a little weak. I’d like to get closer to 1500 FPS.

·
Registered
19,540 Posts
A reading of any reloading manual that provides a narative history of the cartridges would have informed you that a .357 Magnum case is nothing more than a .38 Special case that has been lengthened 0.135 inch. Structurally, the cases have the same strength, so +P loadings are of no concern as regards case integrity. Just keep the +P cartridge, and its pressures, dedicated to revolvers rated for them.

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
A reading of any reloading manual that provides a narative history of the cartridges would have informed you that a .357 Magnum case is nothing more than a .38 Special case that has been lengthened 0.135 inch. Structurally, the cases have the same strength, so +P loadings are of no concern as regards case integrity. Just keep the +P cartridge, and its pressures, dedicated to revolvers rated for them.
And then you can move up to the 357 max which is even longer and has much more boom to it. Like Steve said, it's the gun you worry about, not the case.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts