National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for any and all suggestions on places that still manufacture or sell .32 Remington ammo for the Remington Model 14 rifle.
And from what i understand, that's round nosed rounds only.

I heard PCI is the only manufacturer that still makes new rounds, but that most everything else is original factory or reloaded.

Mod edit: link removed.

·
Aim true !
11,334 Posts
Wasn't hard to find via google.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't hard to find via google.
The only place i found that was decently priced and in stock initially was Reed's Ammunition & Research. But i have to check with them because i have a feeling it's flat nosed
I more recently came across Buffalo Arms because i got flat nosed from them with my initial searches too and it was out of stock. Found out they had round nosed ones in stock just today.

Besides those two, they're the only ones i could find. And it's probably only Buffalo Arms that will be viable

·
AZHerper
4,117 Posts
Because Reed's says they have them in stock, I'd grab some. Either round or flat-nosed will be OK in a low recoiling rifle like a Model 14 even if it does have a tubular magazine.

·
Aim true !
11,334 Posts
These days. Take what you can get. After things loosen up stock deep. Most of us who were through shortages in the past. Stocked up while the getting was good. Then we have those who never learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Because Reed's says they have them in stock, I'd grab some. Either round or flat-nosed will be OK in a low recoiling rifle like a Model 14 even if it does have a tubular magazine.
I read on a forum that flat-nosed rounds were really bad because they had a tendency to not cycle through properly and get stuck in the bolt face?
Just look up remingtonsociety .com website and search for the post "shooting .32 Rem FN verus RN in Model 14's: NO!"

Also, Buffalo Arms Flat Nosed .32 Remington rounds on their website have a giant disclaimer in the description that it won't work properly with Model 14 or 141
Search Buffalo Arms website for "32 Remington Loaded Ammo for Remington Model 8 & 81 Rifles Only, 170 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose Box of 20"

These days. Take what you can get. After things loosen up stock deep. Most of us who were through shortages in the past. Stocked up while the getting was good. Then we have those who never learn.
I'm already comfortably stocked up on my own guns and rounds from before the shortage.
My dad is the one who started looking into or asking a lot of this stuff recently. He apparently wanted to go hunting with his 14 but doesn't have a lot of bullets.
I'm just looking into this as something nice to do for him to perk him up a little bit.

·
Aim true !
11,334 Posts
I have a .380 that does not like round nose. Flat point it runs great. I did load up some round nose at a longer A.O.L. Going to test them as soon as the snow melts some. The round nose were catching the edge of the feed ramp. I had them at .964. New loads are at .984.

·
AZHerper
4,117 Posts
Flat-nosed and round-nosed bullets have always been recommended for rifles with tubular magazines because pointed (spitzer) bullets have the possibility of discharging bullets in tubular magazines upon recoil. If Buffalo Arms had trouble with their flat-nosed bullets feeding in Model 14's that seems odd. Buffalo Arms may be loading the Hornady 170 grain flat-nose. Here's something that I found: The .32 Remington: An obsolete cartridge from a bygone era ... The Hornady 170 flat nose and 165 FTX both have the cannelure , for crimping ... the loaded cartridge is too long and will not feed into the tubular magazine. There's basically nothing wrong with a flat-nose in a tubular magazine (in fact, it's recommended) but some old rifles are "finicky" feeders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts