National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan a new long range rifle and have just about narrowed it down to 2 calibers. Does anyone have experience with these 2 cartages, and what are your thoughts on them as far as: Accuracy, recoil, cost, and availability? The goal for this build is to be Sub MOA out to 1200+.

·
Aim true !
9,736 Posts
I think the bullet and load is more important than caliber. Look for bullets with the best coefficenty. And load your own precision ammo.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Agree on reloading........personally, I would stick with a cartridge I know I can either get ammo for regularly or the components (like brass) easily.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that loading will overall be the deciding factor in accuracy. Both of these rounds are almost neck and neck. The 300 Norma has been around a lot longer then the Nosler I’m hoping someone on here has shot them and has a good review on each.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Let me start by saying I don't own either.....I have shot the 300Norma to 1400 and some change. Pretty much splitting hairs at 1200yrds with a slight advantage going to the Norma.

The Norma requires a Lapua bolt face and the Nosler a magnum...not big deal unless you get tired on the Norma. The magnum bolt would be more versatile imo.

Neither will be cheap to reload for, but that's the price you pay for going big and long.

Get both if that's a option. 😁

Just for the record, there isn't much long range discussion goes on at NGF....Heck some on here don't even like scopes. Lol

Accurate Shooter or Long Range hunting would get you more real world experience reply's.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Yea we don't know much about long range shooting. I speak for myself. Have you thought about more conventional cartridges like the 338 Lapua or the trendy 6.5 Creedmore?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a precision gun in .308 so I don’t want to get another short action. Although 6.5 is a very nice shooting round. I am open to 338 lapua, just trying to find something that is comparable but a bit more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The Norma may be niche, but it has stood the test of time whereas the Nosler is a question; will it get a following. But the point about bolt face is important. I have shot the 28 Nosler a fair bit over several months, before Coronacation, in the Model 48 Long Range. I was impressed, but not enough to buy the rifle. Never shot the Norma, so I guess I don't have much to contribute here...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts