National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a similar question on my 'new member' intro thread but thought I might get more action here, in the actual rifle sub-forum.

Alrighty then! Once upon a time, I was mighty partial to a .30-30 bolt-action rifle. Not sure why; perhaps solely because it was my first. Someone was storing it, only to one day feel overwhelmed by the need to sell it for a bit o' cash. :evil: For some convoluted reason, I have a desire to replace said rifle before I move on to another piece. I've been looking around but cannot seem to find one in this area. Has something changed in the past decade or am I simply in an area with slim pickings? If I am unable to locate soon, then I will start searching for that next piece anyway, while keeping an eye out for the elusive sucker. Any suggestions on other quality bolt-action rifles for me to add to my current research list?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I commented on your other thread about this -- I looked in some of my material and can't find anyone who produces a bolt action in that cal. If one is made, though, someone here will tell you.

FWIW, while .30-30 is not a bad caliber, but there are many in that size, price and recoil range that are far better ballistically. I'd start with the .308 Win (7.62x51 NATO). It has more range and more punch with very similar recoil characteristics; ammo is similar or cheaper in cost, there are far more choices of loads in either factory ammo or handloads, and so on. A .30-30 is great for hunting in brush with </= 225 yd shots. The .308 is as good in brush but used regularly in 1K yd competition.

If you just like the .30-30 and want one for old time's sake, I sure understand. I just can't find one made in bolt action, anywhere and actually can't remember any from earlier times.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I think the Savage model 340 or 325B are the only bolt actions in .30.30 still around. I don't even think they make them anymore. Most .30.30 rifles are lever actions...much more classic. Have you thought about one of them instead? A Marlin Model 336W is a great lever action .30.30

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gunrnr (again!) & SBH.

I'm aware that I can do better than a .30-30 but still thought it would be nice to have one all the same. As you said, for old time's sake and all that jazz. Also thought it might be a decent starter for the shrimp when he's a few years older. Regardless, if I ever manage to get back into the woods again, dependent upon my location at the time, an average of ~150-200 yd isn't unheard of in one area, which typically wouldn't be a problem with the .30-30. However, a different caliber would definitely be needed for the other area.

I've tried lever-actions of various calibers in the past and I simply do not like them as well. I gave a couple of them another try recently, but I do believe that I am stuck in my ways on this particular preference. My loss. I'm willing to live with it.

In the meantime, I knocked a .30-06 out of the running and I actually am considering a .308 or a .270, although I am leaning towards the .308 at this point. I need to sleep on it though, so we shall see. Any further comments/suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I figured you did, but gave it a mention in case you didn't. Heck .30-30s are a hoot -- I always thought there was a reason that more venison has been put on the table in this country by that caliber than any other and that it's been around so long.

Hey, SBH -- thanks for the education on the Savages. I didn't know about those models.

If you ever do get interested in a LE, though, you really would want to check out the Marlin. Smooth action, solid feel, utter reliability -- IMO best feeding mechanism of any LE. I don't have a 336 personally right now, but I do have Marlin 1894s in .357 Mag., .41 Mag., and .45 Colt. Love 'em.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,669 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 54 bolt action carbine chambered in .30 WCF. Manufactured in 1927. Its not for sale. Several companies made bolt action rifles chambered in .30-30. Course, they all stopped making them by 1931.

Yup, Savage made one well into the 1970s, I believe. It was a pale shadow of the earlier ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gunrnr said:
If you ever do get interested in a LE, though, you really would want to check out the Marlin. Smooth action, solid feel, utter reliability -- IMO best feeding mechanism of any LE. I don't have a 336 personally right now, but I do have Marlin 1894s in .357 Mag., .41 Mag., and .45 Colt. Love 'em.
One gun at a time, now! But I will at least put them on my list to check out for potential future investments.

Popeye said:
I have a Winchester Model 54 bolt action carbine chambered in .30 WCF. Manufactured in 1927. Its not for sale. Several companies made bolt action rifles chambered in .30-30. Course, they all stopped making them by 1931.

Yup, Savage made one well into the 1970s, I believe. It was a pale shadow of the earlier ones.
:cry: Well, damn, you're no fun at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my vote is for the .270 low recoil flat traj. but only good for derr and smaller game tough to beat a rem bolt action in any caliber.just a thought jack o'conner killed all 28 big game species in north america w/ a.270 and alot of others( including lion )around the world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts