National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the simplest way to make a 30-06 semi?
I was thinking about using an ar-15 platform but I don't think the 30-06 upper will fit into the lowers I have. What parts would I need or is there a place to buy one already made lower than 3 grand?

I don't want a bolt action and a picatinny rail option would be nice.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
The easiest way would be to buy a Remington 750 or Browning BAR.

·
It's Just My 2¢
5,118 Posts
Garand!

·
1911 addict
1,040 Posts
Had a Remington model 742 till the bolt locked in the reciever. I really prefer the garand even with the little scar on my thumb from the one and only time mine bit me.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
DPMS makes ARs that probably cover as many calibers as anyone. They do not list .30-'06. The .308 is a great choice for an AR (larger lower than 5.56mm) and has most of what you get in a .30-'06. I've has an AR-10 for several yrs and love it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have looked at benelli R1 in 30-06 and I considered buying it... but went for a cheaper gun.
It sounds like a good gun and i would check it out if I were you.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What is the simplest way to make a 30-06 semi?
I was thinking about using an ar-15 platform but I don't think the 30-06 upper will fit into the lowers I have. What parts would I need or is there a place to buy one already made lower than 3 grand?

I don't want a bolt action and a picatinny rail option would be nice.
Sounds to me like to you are leaning towards more of an assault style carbine with pic rails. Based on what you said I think you're best off considering a 308 DPMS like Gunrnr said. Won't get rails with the M1, the Browning or the Remington. I don't do much in the way of semi auto asault carbines, but rather lean more towards bolt action hunting rifles and I go with 06 because it has more factory offerings for hunters than 308, and just a little more power. If I was going for any kind of a 30 caliber in semi auto (especially assault style), I'd definetly lean towards the 308 with the shorter cycle. I can't think of anything in 06 with rails, so the 308 DPMS seems to get as close to your criteria as you're going get. Only big dif with 06, and 308 is cartridge length. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
SA M1A SOCOM ....but it's a .308....Remington makes an auto loader '06 and there is the BAR but those are hunting rifles not tacticool rifles .....really the only military type autoloader in the ol '06 is the garand.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
SA M1A SOCOM ....but it's a .308....Remington makes an auto loader '06 and there is the BAR but those are hunting rifles not tacticool rifles .....really the only military type autoloader in the ol '06 is the garand.
And the FN49

1 - 11 of 11 Posts