National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im looking to buy a SKS or 30-06. I know that the 30-06 is a bit more powerful and accurate. Can you tell me which is a bit better at cleaning and if I got the sks should I get the traditional or the black stock and crap.

Also isnt 7.62 ammo cheaper than 30-06?
Give me your opinions

·
Registered
241 Posts
what do you want it for?

if you want to hit a small target far away go for 30-06

if you want a fun gun to do some serious plinkin get the SKS. Steel case ammo is running around .20 a round right now, you wont find 30-06 anywhere close to that unless you reload

if its your first gun an SKS might be hard to beat, just avoid the yugo ones. A lot of them have gas system issues from shooting corrosive ammo, it can be remedied fairly easily but they also weigh more then other models.

BTW I own a yugo SKS it shoots decent but the trigger is horrid, did a trigger job on it but the reduced power hammer spring had a hard time setting off wolf primers

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
If you can find a good deal on an SKS, preferrably a very good to excellent condition rifle, then buy it. They are becoming less available and more expensive. The .30-06 is a caliber offered in most of the bolt action rifle configurations and will not increase in price so dramatically.

I have a Yugo SKS that I just refinished - check out my album - and have just been out to the range. It is a heavier rifle than the Chinese or Russian version but the recoil is not as noticeable. I did not experience any issues with the rifle or the gas piston system.

·
Registered
241 Posts
thats good, the yugos have a tendency to develop a substantial leak around the selector valve.
I replaced mine with a stainless steel one and it works like a champ now.

your right about prices, I'm ashamed to even say what I paid for mine. but I just had to have one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Garrett,

The 7.62x39 round is cheaper, the SKS carbine is cheaper. You outside shots will be 150 yards. It will fire in all weather, and you can abuse like a young bride.

The altimate 30-06 would be an M1 Garand. Will spank the SKS in all areas except cheap. The firearm will cost you 3x as much. If you dont roll your own ammo, the price is way more.

For $200 you can get 1000 SKS or 240-400 30-06

1 - 6 of 6 Posts