National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 3 barrel shotgun. 2-12ga. 1-30.30 It has royal gun co. wheeling w.v. on gun although from what I found out, it was made by Charles Hollinbeck gun co. in wheeling w.v. around 1902. Gun is in good shape to be 100 years old. I was told it was rare as most drillings were made overseas. Does anyone have any information on this gun.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
joeg,
A very interesting piece you have there. I looked it up and here's what the "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms...and their values 7th Ed." has to say:
"Hollenbeck Gun Company, Wheeling, West Virginia. Known mostly for their three barrel combination hammerless type double shotgun over single rifle; usually 12 ga. over 32-40; other combinations known. Made and marked with three various trade names: HOLLENBECK GUN COMPANY...THREE BARREL GUN COMPANY (1905)...ROYAL ARMS COMPANY, circa 1901-1910. Frank Hollenbeck originally a principal of the Baker Arms Company and Syracuse Arms Company of New York. Values - Good $600 Excellent $1750.
Note: this edition is 1998 vintage, I expect the values have increased by 20 to 30% over the past 10 years - as this is about average for other collectible firearms over that span. However, values vary with interest and market area.

Thanks for asking the question, I learned something interesting tonight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joeg,
32 Magnum covered a lot of good information. Here is some additional. When the company re-organized as the Three Barrel Gun Company in 1905 Frank Hollenbeck was no longer involved with the company. Total production of guns for the collective three firms was appx 2000. Not only did they produce the drillings but also double barrel and single barrel trap guns as well. The trap guns were the Lefever patent as one of the Lefever sons went to work for the Three Barrel Gun Co. after the Lefever Gun Co. folded shop in Bowling Green Ohio. The drillings were made in four grades, (0 - 3) with Grade 3 being the highest. The 12/12/32-40 was the most common configuration. They also produced 20, 16, and 28 Ga. Only one or two of the 28 ga. are known to exist. What is the serial number on your gun, and can you describe the engraving or send pics. to [email protected].

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hollenbeck three barrel gun

I have a Hollenbeck Gun Co. three barrel gun - serial No. 571 It is a grade three. Only the butt-plate is so marked The barrels are marked with an Austian address. Since the caliber is 218 bee ( not available until 1938) under 16Ga., I assume the gun was sent there to rechamber-probably from 22 WRF. The barrel is original and not lined. All other markings including the 1900 pat date are exactly correct for a " Three Barell gun Co. gun grade three. Any info on that Serial number or other info would be appreciated!
Johnt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts