National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody really know why .22lr is so scarce? I have heard hoarding,lack of brass,gov.buy up.does anybody REALLY KNOW?it makes no sense to me,i know they can make it faster then we can shoot it

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
Personally I think that the increase in the manufacture of AR type .22 lr's has a lot to due with it because they being semiautomatic will create the need for more ammo. And of course it is cheaper to shoot so this leads to panic buying and hoarding. And I suppose some of the smaller manufacturers of this caliber stand a chance to grow bigger due to the shortage. The government may have something to do with it also. I am glad that the AR type rifles are out there for the people who enjoy them and I hope for their sake that the shortage ends soon. But I haven't seen any reliable timeline for that to happen. The manufacturers are producing it as fast as they can, but many are at maximum capacity.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
25,856 Posts
Would you rather make a product (like 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP) where the profit margin is roughly 8-9¢ a round or .22LR where the profit margin is roughly 2¢ a round? Add to that, the ammo they do produce is up for sale for 15-90¢ per round by greedy SOBs looking to turn a huge profit. Add to that, the people who go to Wally-mart (among other places) and buy .22LR as it comes "off-the-truck" then hoards it.

All of us need to be patient, supplies will increase over time. Remember when you couldn't get hardly any ammo? Especially .223 rounds?

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I believe you can thank our President for it. Being he is the No.1 gun salesman in the history of the world. In the last 8 years the surge in gun sales have introduced a large amount of new shooters and they need ammo. Though they are ramping up production any wise company will not invest in buildings and equipment for new production in a surge market. Things are starting to settle down now and level off. They are investing and building for increased usage of 22lr but it takes time. No company wants to spend money on production that will not be needed in 2 years. I see it slowly improving and it will be getting better in time. Companies will produce as much as they can to make money. If the demand stays there then they will supply it. It's just the way the business world works.

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
CCI is running at full capacity.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I just bought a 1000 rds of 22Lr. I have a friend that works at the Field & Stream in Ohio, he comes down twice a year and brings it with him, its sold before he leaves. $54.00 for 1000, not bad.

I never thought it, but 22Lr is the most commend ammo out there, think about it, squirrel hunting, farmers, plinking....etc

it will turn around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, let's see: If I practice once a week and only shoot my Ruger Mark II and put 300 rounds through it, how much ammo should I keep on hand? 1200 rounds of 22lr a month. Stores around here limit the number of boxes you can buy at one time so when I see it I buy it. The last two weeks I was first in line at 6:30 a.m. Spent the time talking to an LEO Chief who has his officers practice with 22lr because his town can't afford to be buying 9mm or .45 to practice with.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Would you rather make a product (like 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP) where the profit margin is roughly 8-9¢ a round or .22LR where the profit margin is roughly 2¢ a round? Add to that, the ammo they do produce is up for sale for 15-90¢ per round by greedy SOBs looking to turn a huge profit. Add to that, the people who go to Wally-mart (among other places) and buy .22LR as it comes "off-the-truck" then hoards it.

All of us need to be patient, supplies will increase over time. Remember when you couldn't get hardly any ammo? Especially .223 rounds?

The old adage fast nickel vs the slow dime comes to mind.How fast is the nickel and how slow is the dime? :lol:

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
As most avid shooters know, .22lr Rimfire bullets are very cheap to shoot and can be a lot of fun. Boxes of 500 rounds of ammo could be purchased for a mere $16 - $20.00. CCI is an ammunition manufacturer who is one of many that makes this caliber of ammo, and alone distributes more than 4 million rounds of .22lr a day. So why the ammo shortage?

I have phoned around a bit and done some research and have found out that:

-- the continuing shortage is because ammunition manufacturers have all but suspended pumping the 22 lr ammo in an effort to use that machinery to manufacturer the "more common" (the real money makers) calibers including .223 / 5.56 , .40 cal , and 9mm. Federal Ammunition has began producing "some" 22 lr ammunition. Currently only 5 -6% of their capacity has been this rimfire round and the current prices reflect that. I have seen where folks are paying upwards near $60.00 for a 525 brick.
-- The USA has closed the internal ammo market for import ammo. So European and non European ammo cant fill shortage like on the continental market. (In Europe there is no shortage at all)
-- By creating a shortage on this USA closed market the price of .22lr ammo is going upwards (more profit) Instead of selling their production in the US the ammo manufacturers are exporting stocks worldwide.

ARMARIN has no .22lr shortage at all. (Even have most US Brands) Selling Lapua bricks from Finland at EURO 12,50. and RWS from Germany at Euro 15,00 (Sorry ARMARIN cant sell to USA) Have a cigar and rgds from ARMARIN :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only ban I've been able to find is on Russian-made armor-piercing ammo. Nothing about 22lr. I have bought Geco 22lr recently. Nice stuff.

·
Banned
5 Posts
It's all about profits. There is such a huge demand for calibers with bigger profit margins. Therefore, the manufacturers are focusing on producing as much as possible in those calibers to increase the bottom line on their financials. Just my .02 cents.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,281 Posts
It's all about profits. There is such a huge demand for calibers with bigger profit margins. Therefore, the manufacturers are focusing on producing as much as possible in those calibers to increase the bottom line on their financials. Just my .02 cents.
Huh? Your logic escapes me. "Calibers with bigger profit margins"??

·
Learning Member
8 Posts
Because some folks buy 22rf ammo at $10 per box (50ea) and think they are getting a deal...
...others are selling at these prices and proving 'there's one born every minute'.
Please don't hoard, but save a few for next week.
Denny

·
Registered
371 Posts
A year ago, I could find no 22LR, 9mm, or .223/5.56 in local stores.
.223/5.56 could be found at gun shows for .50/rnd (brass, re-loadable case)
9mm was available for .45-.50/rnd
.22LR for .20-.30/rnd

Since January, Bass Pro Shops has been getting 22LR 2 or 3 times per week. That's true of the ones I go to in FL and NH, so probably safe to assume they all get it.
Prices range, depending on brand and type, from .06-.15.rnd. Limits per day, per person, depends on what they get.

Yesterday, the BPS in Hooksett, NH, had 3 shelves FULL of various brands of 9mm, starting at 50rnds for $15 (.30/rnd).
They had .223 in 120 rnd bulk box for $60 (.50/rnd - too high for me at this point).
No 22LR.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I stock piled 22 lr a couple years ago .Figured shortage and supply on demand. With 10s of thousands at hand I use the oldest first,
F
I
F
O
First on first out
If any old 22s become an issue ,they go to revolver,or bolt actions.or lever only status.I keep them away from the semi autos. I also shot at targets I can verify visually and listen close to Squibb rounds.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
I stock piled 22 lr a couple years ago .Figured shortage and supply on demand. With 10s of thousands at hand I use the oldest first,
F
I
F
O
First on first out
If any old 22s become an issue ,they go to revolver,or bolt actions.or lever only status.I keep them away from the semi autos. I also shot at targets I can verify visually and listen close to Squibb rounds.
Try to be consistent! "First on first out" is "FOFO" not "FIFO". :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts