National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

For the past few days I've been looking into buying the components of .22lr bullets so I can hand load my own. Please note I am not trying to RELOAD I'm trying to build my own. I've seen a few other people post this question on other forums but don't make the point of not reloading them clear enough.

What I'm looking for is a link for somewhere I can get primed .22lr casings (unused)

If anyone has any info on this can you please post it? Now that .22 prices have skyrocketed I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this idea.

~T~

·
Super Moderator
14,148 Posts
I've never heard of doing this, but, there's a lot of things I've never heard of.

I can see, through my cloudy, Saturday morning, one-cupa, minds eye, several problems with doing what you describe and with finding the components.

From the little, very little, I know of the actual manufacturing process of rimfire ammunition, I would think that after the primed case is produced that there is very little left to do in an automated manufacturing process in getting a finished rimfire cartridge. The folks who have the machinery set up to make primed cases are likely to be the same folks who are manufacturing finished rimfire ammo (presumably, currently as fast as they can). I doubt that they would dump off a coupla thousand primed cases for the one guy in the country who wants to hand load them.

The second major problem I see with hand loading rimfire ammo is that traditional hand loading makes heavy use of the rim on a cartridge to accomplish the various tasks of the process. Crimping, striking, bending, mashing, stripping, or otherwise compromising the rim could result in, at best a cartridge that wont fire, and at worst, one that fires way too soon.

The third and last issue is cost. I have looked at many, many reloading equipment catalogs and other such publications and although I certainly may have missed it, I do not recall ever seeing any equipment to accomplish hand loading a rimfire cartridge. Now, it may be there, I don't remember seeing it. If it is there I'd imagine it is in the cost prohibitive range of expenses (for me anyway).

If you had the equipment, the components, the time, and got lucky, and after you paid shipping on all of that, you could probably load 22 lr for about $5 a pop.

This is just my 2 cents, which is what it probably costs manufacturers to make a round of 22 lr. Right now it's not what they sell them for.

Alan

·
Registered
870 Posts
The same people that make loaded 22 LR are the ones with the capability of
producing primed 22 LR cases. To the best of my knowledge they do NOT offer
primed cases as a separate item. Why should they?

I suppose you could ask----CCI in Idaho is probably the best chance within the US.
CCI is running 24/7 cranking out 22 LR, I'm sure a request for primed cases will give
them a little chuckle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks guys,
I'm gonna look into it a bit more but your right, it probably wont be cost effective... at all.
But if I do find anything that's worth noting I'll post it here.

~T~

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
Yeah, I've never seen anything on that either, just the old adage that you can't hand load rimfire stuff.

But I haven't been around nearly as long as Alan. :wink:

--Wag--

·
Registered
29 Posts
Years ago we used to pull the bullet from 22lr and replace the powder with unique and seat a 50gr fmj bullet to shoot silhouettes with. THIS IS ONLY FOR A "CONTENDER PISTOL". it worked pretty good.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Good luck with that and please let us know how this turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts