National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of the last couple of months I've had a cast on my right wrist (I'm right handed and awaiting surgery) resulting from a football hit. I've decided that the slug gun that I normally hunt with will be too much recoil on my arm during the healing process. I will be hunting the upcoming Wisconsin deer season with a friends .223 and I need some advice on the best possible loads to deliver the most humane kill shot possible. I fully understand what everyone thinks about how small the caliber is for big game so advice on bullets only please.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Can't give you any advice without the twist Rate...need your twist rate

·
Registered
23 Posts
here I am thinking .223 is borderline for coyote hunting.......................my bullet advice for Wisconsin deer (much larger than deer down south) is: you need bullets that are bigger around!

That said, Winchester makes a round that should work if you place the shot well:

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
For the sake of accuracy, you should match projectile weight to barrel twist rate.

Ya see? "Best" bullet means nothing if you can't hit the target.

·
YouTube Personality
35 Posts
I have a friend that uses his AR15 on deer and uses the standard 55 grain ball round. The way the bullet is designed it is to yaw in flesh. According to him it drops them every time.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I have a friend that uses his AR15 on deer and uses the standard 55 grain ball round.
FMJ should NEVER be used on game animals.

The way the bullet is designed it is to yaw in flesh.
Designed.....Ummm no!

According to him it drops them every time.
Maybe if he's taking neck/head shots and possibly through the shoulders,,,,but through the boiler room very doubtful.

To even suggest using ball ammo to hunt with is very bad advice nor is it ethical IMO.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
a lot of deer are taken with the .223 in Texas. the Winchester 64 gr power point is popular......its inexpensive compared to the high tech stuff and most places carry it.

I knew a few hunters that raved about the old Federal Trophy bonded Bear Claw bullet...I was actually showed a recovered bullet that expanded well and retained from what i was told over 90% of its weight....but i think Federal replaced it with Federal Fusion. No experience but the propaganda reads well............

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
What rivervalley0311 said. DON'T use fmj/ball, in fact it's illegal for hunting in most states. It is not designed to yaw or tumble, it's designed to punch clean through, causing as minimal damage as possible.

The Winchester Power Point round is the best option offered for your .223, assuming it's a legal caliber for deer in your state.

Reactions: rdc0311

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Wisconsin is required to use an expanding bullet. (Hollow point) So using Ball ammo would be illegal as well as a mistake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use hornady training ammo 55gr. Soft points. 50count box. Aim high on neck, the little white spot under his neck when he looks at you. I have never had to track them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hornady American Whitetail soft points+place your shot well and you can drop one.

Thinking of getting a 223 myself and using it to hunt deer in NY.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Buy several boxes of that Hornady American Whitetail and practice your ass off.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
The OP was back in October. Hunting season is over and his arm has, most likely, healed and the cast has been removed.

The discussion is mute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts