National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im a european looking for advice. For context, ill be moving to austria soon-ish, which has more lax gun laws than where i currently live, and ive been thinking about buying a rifle. Ive landed between either a .223 wylde Ar or a .308 AR. This is due to magazine size limits, rilfes only get a max of 10, so due to this austrias open environment i figured .308 might be worth it. The main reason i cant decide is due to logistical issues ( .308 costs and wheighs more than .223 etc.) and me not being sure if .223 has enough power ( yes, i know, a tale as old as time).

Why not both? This is due to the license system. A fresh license has "space" for 2 semi-automatic guns, be they rifles or handguns, and i also want to buy a handgun.

Why not a 5.56 AR? For some reason, those are not allowed. I dont get it either.

Why not an AUG? The civillian variant ( AUG-Z) is chambered for .223 rem, which was one of the main points of the wylde AR, being able to use military ammo in a pinch. Also mags cost 100 euro.

Why not an AK? It just seems like the halfway solution that does neither thing really well. ( .223s logistic advantage, .308s range advantage )

Here´s links to the rifles in question:
ALPEN ARMS STG15C 16,75" STD BLACK | SHOOTINGSTORE AUSTRIA (description in english) , .223
OA-10 DMR, 20" Heavy Barrel schwarz, OA TRH 13" rifle length, OA M4-Schaft, Kompensator, BUIS (no english, sadly.) .308

Edit: Forgot to mention local trainers dont offer any courses/training with .308 semi-autos, only .223 and AKs.

Edit 2: Another thing i forgot to mention was the purpose of the rifle. Home defense would likely be done with a handgun to avoid collateral damage. The rifle would more likely be used in a large-scale scenario, such as a wartime invasion or societal collapse. Sounds unlikely, but EU countries arent that far off things like that.

Apologies for the massive textwall, and thank you for your time.
Leon

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it is for home defense or range time, either caliber will work. You can carry a lot more .223 than .308. Many states in the USA ban the .223 for hunting deer because of its low energy. It is good for smaller game. The .308 is great for larger game hunting if needed. I personally would choose the .308, but then I am a go big or stay home guy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as the .223 wylde goes, that chamber will allow for safe use in .223 and 5.56 ammunition. I’m the states at least, .223 is generally far more common, and much cheaper to stock up on. For what you are wanting to use it for, seams like that may be the better choice. Just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts