National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Firearms Enthusiast
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty well versed on the 5.56 NATO ammunition I've been using in my M4 and I'm curious about the .223 cartridge. It's been a turn off for me for some time now just out of pure ignorance on the actual thing. I guess because it sounds like a 22, or 22LR. What is the .223 all about? Does it bounce around, is it accurate, expensive, etc? What can I learn about this round? I'm shipping out in October and more than likely will be using the M4 for my duties and I know the 5.56 NATO round is standard issue, but is the .223 used at all for the military? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
This page will describe the differences better than I can.

.223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO: What You Don't Know Could Hurt You | Human Events

Also the M4 or M-16 IS basically a .22 The cartridge it is designed to shoot is much larger but the projectile is 22 caliber. An M4 can fire 22LR with a after market bolt that replaces the entire bolt carrier group. Of course you also need a special magazine that will fit the mag well and load the 22LR rounds. No other modifications are needed.

·
Firearms Enthusiast
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This page will describe the differences better than I can.

.223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO: What You Don't Know Could Hurt You | Human Events

Also the M4 or M-16 IS basically a .22 The cartridge it is designed to shoot is much larger but the projectile is 22 caliber. An M4 can fire 22LR with a after market bolt that replaces the entire bolt carrier group. Of course you also need a special magazine that will fit the mag well and load the 22LR rounds. No other modifications are needed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I'm shipping out in October and more than likely will be using the M4 for my duties and I know the 5.56 NATO round is standard issue, but is the .223 used at all for the military?

The 223 is the civilian version of the 5.56,,,,,where your going you wont have to worry about the differences. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts