National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to look at a Remington.222 rifle that Old Pete has up for casual sale. It’s an older model but if I know anything at this point, it’s been rarely shot. It’s got one of those old scopes that are like 18” long with thumb screws and a spring on the outside. I know nothing about those. I think I can have it for about $200. If I were to get this rifle it would be for varmits and I’d be putting a higher power scope on it. The question is, is the .222 a decent round or should I just wait and go with a newer .223 like the Ruger American?

· Registered
6,726 Posts
the 222 is a good round that was popular with a reputation for accuracy.....the .223 appeared....and folks associated the 223 with the 5.56 and that made it more popular from the aspect of the military usage...

the 222 can hold its own in the accuracy dept....

· Registered
228 Posts
With 40-50 gr bullets at about 3000 fps, I'd say its a good varmint round. I had a Remington 700 in 22-250 for that purpose, shot coyote visiting Texas and groundhogs in Pa. with no trouble.

· AZHerper
6,341 Posts
I used to have a heavy-barrel Remington Model 700 in 22-250. It was an amazing gun. I used to load 55 grain bullets to about 3,700 fps. I used 50-foot indoor small bore targets for sighting in at 100 yards. It was a tack-driver.

· Registered
228 Posts
Exactly what I had, 700 BDL Deluxe with the heavy barrel, 10x Leopold Scope Harris bi-pod. Bought it in the late '70's my cousin is still taking varmints with it.

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Nothing wrong with .222, except it got overshadowed by .223. I think it would be a fun cartridge to shoot and reload...for sure fun with varmints! I developed some loads for a close friend a few years back in .22 BR, and since then I have been thinking about getting another centerfire .22 for myself, and I would be inclined toward a .222.

· Super Moderator
16,614 Posts
I have killed more deer with a 222 than all other rounds combined using a 55gr Sierra. If I recall, and my recall on such things is subject to verification, I used 21 gr IMR4895. My rifle is Sako.

You, should snatch that deal up and run out the door.

Also, don't be too quick to pooh pooh that old scope till you shoot the rifle. Mine has a 9x Unertl that's older than I am (the rifle is older than in too) and it will stack shots on top of each other.

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1

· Super Moderator
16,614 Posts
Of the three sisters, .222, .223, .222 Rem Mag, of which I have a number of each, I would choose the .222 if I had to make absolutely sure something got a hole in it.

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1

· Registered
541 Posts
I have two Savage rifles in 222 Rem that are my go-to for varmint and coyote. The first is a mid-century (20th) classic - the 340 D. The side saddle scope mount is, I think, it's weak point but it's a shooter. That rifle maxes out at 52 grs. The second is a very recent Savage Walking Varminter. That rifle is the most accurate I own. So, accurate that on at least three occasions, I have had a 0.5" or smaller three shot group. In the hands of a more competent marksman, one large ragged hole might be possible ! That one shoots 55 grs bullets just fine. I haven't tried longer. I think that 222 Rem and 22-250 are THE varmint cartridges. Great cartridge.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
If that scope is a Unertl, that alone is worth a lot of money

· Registered
8,425 Posts
15X typically go for around $750, a 20X can go as high as $1100 or more

· Aim true !
14,172 Posts
Sorry im late to the party. But the scope sounds like enertel. If it is that is one awesome scope. My neighbor has a 220 swift with the enertel scope. He claims he shot turkeys with it at 600 yards. He is not a tall tale teller.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.