National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I have always said a .22 would be ok for self defense, especially if loaded with something like stingers or yellow jackets. Is it as good as a larger centerfire? No but i certainly would not want to be peppered with 10-15 .22 stingers!

·
Aim true !
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul does a good job with his videos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love cal. 22, but only for sporting activities, for self-defence I feel better with a cal 9 in my hand :38: :biggrin5:

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,293 Posts
Shot placement trumps caliber size. A .22LR can kill just as easily as any other caliber, the trick is to put the bullet where it will stop the bad guy.

Keep in mind, clearing a home with a rifle has some disadvantages; such as, going around corners, and suddenly finding yourself being next to a bad guy.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
531 Posts
The problem is shot placement. I've been shot at. My reaction was not calm, considered, deep breathing, followed by considerations of precision. I'm sure there are folks who have not been extensively trained and exposed to incoming fire who could focus on shot placement. But not many. If "buck fever" is a thing, imagine "OMFG somebody just kicked in the front door at 0400 fever."

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
the 22...........the poacher's choice for good reason..

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
I have no questions regarding the .22 LR abilities as a cartridge, but using a .22 rifle, or any rifle for that matter, is cumbersome indoors. It can be done, but it is far from ideal. Thus, a minimal powered cartridge in an awkward firearm seems a bit...wrong? Better than nothing for sure, but far from optimum. If I had to use a .22 for home defense it would be a pistol.

Then there is the thought brought out by LRDGCO concerning the Adrenalin surging, and potentially limited lighting as well as a target that probably isn’t going to sit still to be shot which leaves doubt as to being able to get adequate shot placement for a cartridge with minimal power. I much prefer more damage from each shot.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,864 Posts
Very nice video, I liked it! I have a single action .22 revolver loaded with six rounds in the nightstand. I hear firing a large caliber in a closed space like a room could be really hard on the ear drums? But I do have a .38 special there also.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have shot .22s for over 55 years. They are a very versatile round. Would it be my first choice for a defense round. Absolutely not. Would I hesitate to use it if it was the first thing at hand when I need it. Again, absolutely not. Something is almost always better than nothing. I personally have several 9mm handguns, a .410 with buckshot, a 20ga with buckshot, two .22 mags with personal defense rounds, a 357 mag revolver, a .45 colt with snakeshot,,,probably a couple more scattered around the house. Each loaded for a specific purpose. Most not home defense. But if I need one, I really don't care what is the closest, I am going to use whatever is close at hand.
I best heard it said this way; It doesn't matter if it is a bank robber, a rapist, a terrorist or a home invader. It does not matter if it is a .22 or .45 caliber. If you can put 1 round in the heart or brain, they will stop doing what they are doing. Otherwise you are getting hurt.
Even with a heart shot, a determined person can function for up to 2 minutes. The largest factor is the determination in a bad situation to accurately place rounds for the best effect. To make the first shot count, no matter what, you may not get a second one.
What you get or use, or not, is a choice to fit YOU. Not me. It is your choice to live with. Not mine.
If it is what you have, something is better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
As they say, the best gun for self (or home) defense is the one your holding when you need it. A .22lr wouldn't be my first choice, but it's a helluva lot better than nothing.

Reactions: deputy and Ziggidy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe? If I had to have a .22, I would load up a ruger 10/22 or m and p 15-22 with 25 round mags with CCI stingers (I would have a couple more mags attached to the stock), Suppressed, with a custom light trigger so you can “practically” have full auto fire rate and mod the barrel to be shorter than factory. This would be a crazy defense gun. The only problem would be jamming as rimfire semi autos like to do that. Just hope they didn’t bring body armor either!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Smith does not recommend Stingers for the 15-22, because of the length. I run Mini Mag round nose and hollow points all day long without trouble, though.

·
Aim true !
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday when i was shooting my cricket. I shot a Mcdonalds soda cup. It blew it apart. Like water jugs when shot with a bigger boolet. I was using winchester hollow points. I sure would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those rounds.

Reactions: SGW _Gunsmith_
1 - 20 of 28 Posts