National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to guns and im looking to buy a .22 revolver by a company that is not out of business so I can get parts if needed. what I really want is a double action 6" barrel 9 shot .22 revolver that is blued (black) and has the interchangable cylinders to shoot both .22lr and .22mag but it MUST be double action. I now realize this is not a possibility(unless someone knows something I dont which is very possible!) so I have refined my search and I have come to the conclusion that my only options are

Taurus 94 (its only a 5" barrel at the biggest but I guess ill deal with it)

and a

Comanche I

I dont want a smith and wesson because I dont wanna spend to much money and that is all I can come up with.

can someone give me an insight on these guns? which would you go with? I like the price of the comanche but there is little on the net about them so what is yalls opinion on quality? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think years ago, in the 70's, I had a High Standard that was double action.
I own the Ruger single six S.S. but it is a single action.
It is one well put to gether gun.
If you but a production gun by a well known manufacturer, you won't need any parts.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
High Standard as well as H&R made a number of .22/.22mag revolvers. They are double action.

You will have to search on line for H&R .22 revolver (try the gun auction sites such as Gun Broker). Be patient, you will find what you want.

The price should be under $150.

Don

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I would buy a used Smith and Wesson, before I bought a new Taurus. There are many Taurus owners that love their guns, they're just not for me.

To be more helpful, what is your price range, and why DA only?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bangbang,
He wants a company that is still in business.
That shoots down H&R, although they are a great choice.
I have no problems with them, I just wait to find a nice one, and I don't think I will ever need parts, cause they are well built!
His loss, you won't find anything made today with as much quality, except the Roger single six, and then you have lost the double action that he also requires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I still haven't completely ruled out the H&R but I don't want a smith and wesson because I am gonna buy a s&w .357 and I wanna mix it up a bit. Also the price on the s&w is to high... I'm a college student so yea.. Another thing that was appealing is the lifetime warranty of the Taurus guns. But does anyone know anything about these Comanche I guns?

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Comanche guns are imported by a company called SGS Imports from New Jersey. That's about all the information there is out there. I have seen Comanche's selling for under $200 brand new, which tells me they are of low quality. Likely no warranty, or warranty service anyways.

·
Unfathomable Comedian
715 Posts
Yea I still haven't completely ruled out the H&R but I don't want a smith and wesson because I am gonna buy a s&w .357 and I wanna mix it up a bit. Also the price on the s&w is to high... I'm a college student so yea.. Another thing that was appealing is the lifetime warranty of the Taurus guns. But does anyone know anything about these Comanche I guns?
Unfortunatley I was facing the same dilemma. I wanted to find a quality made double action .22LR revolver, but the choices are very limited when you stick only to newly made guns. The only companies I know that currently make them are Taurus, S&W, Comanche, and Charter Arms. I own a Taurus, but I have had bad luck with my '94. I have sent it back to the factory twice since I bought it in '03, and it's performance is nominal at best. I know nothing about Comanche, and Charter Arms has not had a good reputation since the 1970's.

As for S&W, my eyes almost rolled out of my head when I looked at what they are charging for a new DA revolver. (I remember it being in the $600-$700 range :mad5:) I finally decided to spend half as much and get a stainless Ruger Mark III (I'm very happy with that purchase, btw)

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I may end up going with the Taurus 990 that seems to be a better option than the 94. I haven't heard anything bad about the 990 so far and if I don't do that I'll probably go with the H&R

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best shooting H&R's are the Sportsman model 999's
These are the top of the line for H&R.
They made some other models through the years that were better shooters, but, they were scarce, and pretty expensive, if you can even find one today.
Find a nice, clean model 999, and you won't be sorry.
p.s. try to find one manufactured before the bankruptcy of the original H&R company.
The ones manufactured after 1986 were not of the same quality.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
32 Magnum will be on line pretty quick... he is the resident expert on all things H&R as well as High Standard. I'm sure he also will add his views on which H&R's to look out for...

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep!
32 magnum is THE man!
Jim has been a mentor to me since I started collecting, and was the person who gave my collecting some direction.
I have even purchased a couple of pieces from his collection.
Anything that comes from 32 magnum, you can take to the bank as a fact!!
plus he's a great guy to boot!
Jim

p,s, Knowing Jim, he will suggest some of the much earlier Sportsman models, when there was much more work done by skilled labor.
He is a fan of the pre WWII stuff.
Here are a few pics of some earlier Sportsman pieces.

1936? Model 199 Single Action

1939 Model 777 Ultra Sportsman Single Action

·
Registered
826 Posts
A few weeks ago I bought a used taurus 9 shot .22 DA/SA revolver. Not sure on the model though. It shoots .22 LR, and I paid 250 bucks for it. I love it! Havent had a problem yet, and its had about 500 rounds through it, most of it the cheap crappy stuff I have that my other semi .22s wont shoot!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well I've decided to go with the Taurus. Now it is between the 94 and the 990. Any thoughts?
While it's true that Taurus has a lifetime warranty, remember - there might be a reason for that.

Based on my personal experience, I would stay as FAR away from the 94 as possible. I have the 4" model. It went back to Taurus 4 times in the first 6 months I owned it. Since getting it back, I fired 27 rounds out of it, and don't care if I ever fire it again. I keep threatening to fill it with epoxy and make a paperweight out of it, but hubby keeps hiding the equipment. :lol: I have no experience with the 990, though, so I decline to comment there.

I'm a wheel gun gal, myself, but I have to say I love my Browning Buckmark. Never once had a jam or any problem with it. Rugers are good, too. It all depends on what feels right in your hand, honestly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.