National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
16,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally snapped. The tree rats stopped being cute. I let it go when they pulled off the last of the unripe figs and littered the sidewalk with them with one gnaw out of each one. Yesterday I watched one in the pecan tree run from branch to branch just pulling green pecans off and dropping them as fast as he could go...

So, I got out the 1022 and loaded up a mag with some Federal High vel. Perfect head on shot looking at me..
nothing... didn't even flinch.. again, and then again.. he got tired of the noise and move up the trunk laffin. Again and again... nothing...

Went and got the Henry. pop pop pop... now I'm frustrated.

This afternoon I set up a target and checked the scope. It was all over the place and was not close to Minute of Tree Rat at 40 yards. Same with the Henry, same with the 1022 with the target barrel and trigger...

I'm thinking "dang" (actually that's not what I was thinking...) I used to shoot the heads off of quail (when there were quail) with that rifle. Then I remembered, .... "Thunderbolt". Surely, I thought, there can't be that much difference...

Broke open a brick of Thunderbolts and put a ten round mag under a quarter at 40 yards.

The next three tree rats weren't laffin..... been kinda quiet out in my pecan tree.

Alan

· Registered
3,492 Posts
Awhile back I started a thread on a rim thickness gauge and came to the conclusion that you can take crappy bulk 22 ammunition and get competition grade ammo out of it. First by sorting it into “like” rim thickness and then group those into “like” weights.

I think a have a box of said bulk ammunition made by Federal. I just might do another test on it.

· RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,534 Posts
I always thought they look more like targets than cute sigh wish I could up here... drop a few more for me ;)

· Super Moderator
16,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got another one this morning. This afternoon there were four more in the tree... This may take a while.

Alan

Reactions: Kobs and gvaldeg1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.