National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, recently I picked up an old rifle of my grandfather’s a Winchester 290 tube fed .22 rimfire. I was wondering if anyone here had an answer to my question which is can I Shoot .22 long rifle in a .22 long gun? The 290 is chambered for .22 short, and .22 long. I’m not against using .22 short but I was wondering if I was able to use a “full length” cartridge in the gun.

·
Aim true !
10,306 Posts
You can shoot LR in it. But if the rifling is 1:20 twist they may not stabilize well. Modern 22's are 1:16 twist. Try them and see how they perform.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Doubt it unless you check the chamber length

·
Registered
719 Posts
With the bolt back, or locked open with a semiauto, drop a .22lr round in the chamber. After you clean it of course. If it seats to the rim, probably.
The question is sometimes not so much "can you" but more of "should you". Some, especially semiautos or older bolt and pump guns, can be seriously damage by the extra pressure.
If it is a family heirloom, the question is why would you take a chance?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
One does not put a 357 in a 38, nor a 44 mag in a 44 SPL or anything similar - why would anyone think they can fit a longer case in a shorter chamber?

·
AZHerper
3,744 Posts
One does not put a 357 in a 38, nor a 44 mag in a 44 SPL or anything similar - why would anyone think they can fit a longer case in a shorter chamber?
Why did you think that it would have a shorter chamber. You're wrong. The 22 LR and 22 long both have case lengths of 0.595 inch. However, the 22 long used the 22 short 29 grain bullet while the 22 LR used 36 grain HP's and 40 grain solids. You guys shouldn't be disseminating bad info on here however, Coalcracker is right. Congrats Coal!

·
Aim true !
10,306 Posts
My neighbor has a 290 and he shoots lr in it. I just double checked with him.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Why did you think that it would have a shorter chamber. You're wrong. The 22 LR and 22 long both have case lengths of 0.595 inch. However, the 22 long used the 22 short 29 grain bullet while the 22 LR used 36 grain HP's and 40 grain solids. You guys shouldn't be disseminating bad info on here however, Coalcracker is right. Congrats Coal!
Then I'll stand corrected...........I just remember that rifles only rated for 22lr could not fire 22l with a few exceptions like bolt actions that also fired 22 shorts........

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
i can not recall when the last "22 Long only" marked gun was made....or what it was..........

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had not looked up the model when I posted, just a general comment.
However, it does appear to be manufactured for .22lr. If it is and is marked for it, there is no problem.
If a semi-auto or some pump action firearms are not rated for .22lr ammunition and you use it, the results could range from "oh darn" to "holy crap what just happened".
When CCI Stingers came out they were advertised to fit and shoot in just about any .22lr firearm. And they would. But the over pressure would eventually destroy your semi-auto rifle. How long that was depended on how and how well each gun was made. I know this first hand. It took less than 3 boxes. Most manufactures still put a disclaimer to NOT shoot them in semi-autos.
.22lr should NOT be fired in a semi- auto rated for .22 longs. The potential for damage from the higher pressure could range from very little to catastrophic. Whether they fit or not.
Use your best judgement on any firearm.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
still see some "22 short" only guns still made......getting rare at that.....would not mind having a Browning take-down 22 short in such....

·
AZHerper
3,744 Posts
I had not looked up the model when I posted, just a general comment.
However, it does appear to be manufactured for .22lr. If it is and is marked for it, there is no problem.
If a semi-auto or some pump action firearms are not rated for .22lr ammunition and you use it, the results could range from "oh darn" to "holy crap what just happened".
When CCI Stingers came out they were advertised to fit and shoot in just about any .22lr firearm. And they would. But the over pressure would eventually destroy your semi-auto rifle. How long that was depended on how and how well each gun was made. I know this first hand. It took less than 3 boxes. Most manufactures still put a disclaimer to NOT shoot them in semi-autos.
.22lr should NOT be fired in a semi- auto rated for .22 longs. The potential for damage from the higher pressure could range from very little to catastrophic. Whether they fit or not.
Use your best judgement on any firearm.

The posted SAAMI max pressures for both long and long rifle are only 24,000 PSI. These are comparable to black powder pressures. Any reasonably well built modern rifle made out of something stronger than Swiss cheese should handle this comfortably.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That is correct. And most .22 cal rf ammo is not loaded for anywhere near that. And from what I can find, niether are the firearms made for it.
Even though max pressure is the same, operating pressure is not. Given an equal powder charge, a heavier bullet will give a higher operating pressure than a lighter one. Most reloading manuals will explain it far better than I can. 22lr has a heavier projectile and higher velocity. More than likely a higher pressure to achieve this as well. That means, given equal and opposite reaction, more recoil pressure one the breech block.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's late and I am tired. Rimfires are kind o a passion me. I will research a little more on it and post in the next few days. Got some things to take care of for the wife though so it may take me a couple days.
If I am wrong, I will happily say so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts