National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This was my father's gun that he said he had since the early 1950s. I know nothing about guns, but would like to know when this revolver was manufactured and maybe some additional information about it.
The gun says "22 CAL". "IVER JOHNSON 50" and there is something that appears to be filed down below that. The letter "s" is slightly visible however.
"E5832"
"IJA & C WKS INC" Under that, "FITCHBURRG, MASS. U.S.A."

Attachments

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
The IJAC Wks. Stands for Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works. It was likely made around 1961-1962. They began making the 50A in about 1963. In very good condition, as this one appears to be, they sell for around $175. A collector might pay more,but aren't many Iver Johnson collectors. Get a good GUNSMITH to check it out for you and enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Nice wheel gun

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only shot a gun a few times, but was thinking of starting to shoot this one. Do you think that the serial number is shaved off or what?
Thanks for the help!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
The Iver Johnson model 50, better known as the "Sidewinder" was manufactured in 1961 and 1962. In 1963, they became the model 50A.

The Iver Johnson company made firearms, bicycles and motorcycles from 1871 until 1993, when they went out of business. Another company opened in 2006, under the Iver Johnson name, however they have nothing to do with the original company or founder Mr. Iver Johnson.

FYI, your father's revolver is worth $200-$250 on today's market. Please do not sell it. It is worth more to your family, than the money. And over time it will increase in value, if it's present condition is maintained.

Edit: North beat me to it. doh.gif

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
If you are an NRA member you can look up a shooting club in your area. There are bound to be some instructors to work with you. You might hook up with one of the members of the forum and get some help. Most private ranges have a NRA certified instructor on staff to assist young shooters. Make sure the instructor is NRA certified. Lots of folks out there think they know it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts