National Gun Forum banner

22 Caliber Ammo Pricing

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TX1911 
#1 ·
I have severl bricks of Remington Thunderbolt 22 in my garage that I paid less than $10 each for, some time ago. Not crazy about the Thunderbolt ammo, find it a bit dirty, and that it will gum up the chambers on target pistols quickly.

Now I see "Cheaper Than Dirt" has the same stuff for $21.97 today! Plus shipping. I guess Cheaper Than Dirt ain't really that cheap, huh?

#2 ·
I haven't bought .22 ammo in a long time so I don't know what its selling for these days.
I have a friend who buys me a brick for every birthday,Christmas,and any other holiday that calls for gift giving. I don't think I will ever have to buy my own .22 ammo.

#5 ·
I don't shoot .22 RF that much, but I had the foresight a few yrs ago to pick up two cartons (500 rnds ea) of CCI Stinger for $15.00, which I love for small varmints, and one of the sporting goods stores had bricks of Remington .22 LR on sale for $7.99 (some kind of big blow-out sale). I bought about 10 or more bricks.

I'm seeing what I think are CRAZY prices for some kinds of .22 LR -- $1.79/50 for one foreign brand, $2.49/50 for another. I don't care if it's super-duper Olympic-Grade -- It's .22 LR, for Pete's sake!

Good thing .22 RF ammo doesn't go bad. My on-sale special stuff can just stay in my sealed GI ammo cans in a cool place and last a looooong time!

#6 ·
The only thing cheap on cheaper than dirt is the quality of their products.

Their .357 mag is more expensive than Walmart's.

G
#7 ·
500(brick) of my brand (Aguila Super Max) is going for about $35.
I will NOT shoot Remington, they have ruined my buddy's gun so bad, he had to have a new barrel installed. The waxy coating will melt in a warm barrel and completely cover the rifling. But alas, the 'war' in Iraq and the Iraqi police armament has increased the price of brass/most ammo materials greatly.

#8 ·
I have never had a problem with Rem ammo. Proper maintenance takes care of it.

I do not think it has much to do with the war in Iraq. The cost of everything is up, not just lead and copper.

#9 ·
I have found that some of the Remington 22 will in fact gum up the works on target quality pistols.
The non-coated lead bullets especially. You just have to scrub the chambers out with vigor once in a while and that usually solves the problem.

The coating should not permanently damage the barrels. You may have to use some strong solvent and a brass brush and scrub the heck out of it a few times to remove it, but it should come out.

#10 ·
addik said:
500(brick) of my brand (Aguila Super Max) is going for about $35.
I will NOT shoot Remington, they have ruined my buddy's gun so bad, he had to have a new barrel installed. The waxy coating will melt in a warm barrel and completely cover the rifling. But alas, the 'war' in Iraq and the Iraqi police armament has increased the price of brass/most ammo materials greatly.
No offense intended toward either you or your buddy, but I have to agree with the Gunny. Maintenance (or the lack) is the culprit. Without going into "Shaggy Dog Stories", the worst gun barrel I EVER had to clean was on an old Colt SP-1 (predecessor to the "M-4") in which the owner had been using a .22 RF adaptor. I would love to know how many rounds that guy shot but I can promise that that bore NEVER saw a brush.

Yes, wax melts. It eventually turns into a kind of varnish, and soft, gooey wax becomes damn near hard as glass. I wore out four extra-stiff bore brushes and almost 4 oz. of Hoppe's #9 + a buttload of "Ed's Red" before that Colt's bore was presentable.

I wish I had a diagram or animation, but think about the wax residue left in the bore after the shot. Then think about successive shots -- each one compressing the residue into the bore. Remember that the bore is NOT perfectly smooth. The lands and grooves each have microscopic imperfections and likely macro scratches and imperfections as well. The lube builds up and is compressed with each shot. Four brushes, over six hours to get that damn thing clean. An occasional cleaning would have prevented all of that.

G
#11 ·
The buddy who has poor gun hygiene said he didn't clean the one that was gummed to the max because he was getting a new barrel anyway, just talked to him recently and though I may do a follow up.
Yeah, I know better than to not clean a gun after a few hundred rounds.
I just run a bore snake through twice and every few thousand rounds, give it a overhaul of cleaning madness. :--- good as new!

#12 ·
Couple of months ago, went to Academy and got 550 rounds of Federal .22 LR for about $11.00. I'll check this week and get more accurate pricing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.