National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I move on to bigger & better, I'd like to purchase a .22 for target practice, plinking, etc. (Of course, it also could be that the shooting club only allows .22 for their monthly 'friendly' member competitions.) My awesome google skillz eventually narrowed my list down to a Buck Mark and a Beretta U22 Neo.

Among the Brownings, I was initially considering the Buck Mark Camper (preferrably in SS); however, I then read a review that suggested to stay away from the Camper and go with a different Buck Mark because of the sights (problems with them breaking/cracking). Anyone know if this is a common issue? The review (as well as many others I read) recommended the contoured grip pistols instead, which unfortunately I'm not too keen on because my hands are fairly small and unsure whether it would fit comfortably. I've held pistols with contoured grips in the past that were uncomfortable as my fingers don't quite fit where they should on the grip, but they were also larger caliber guns a helluva long time ago if that makes any difference.

During the early stages of my hunt, I had thrown out the Beretta U22 Neo because I thought (still do to some extent) that it looked a bit . . . odd(?). However, later on, I decided to go ahead and take a closer look and not to discard it on looks alone. It appears to receive good reviews (other than the "it looks funny" comments).

I'm hoping to get my hands on both of them before I make my final decision, of course, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with either or both? Open to recommendations.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've never heard of an issue with a Browning or any kind. Others' experience may be different. If I had to list the guns that have passed through my little shop that I wished I'd kept, a beautiful old Browning Buckmark would be in the top 10.

The Neo has some good reviews. The shooters I talk to say that the funny look is supposed to go along with the different type of grip, or something like that. I haven't fired one so I have no personal opin. The few customers I've spoken to about them seem to like them.

Wish I could give you more info, but it seems to me that they are each a good pistol. Might come down to personal preference, feel, and intuition.

Thanks for asking. That'll be 2¢, please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, gunrnr. I shall take a looksy at both and go from there.

Unfortunately, I think your beaver stole my pocket change, so you'll have to take the 2¢ out of it instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a March 2008 issue of "Gun Tests", they were testing a Beretta U22 Neos, Ruger Mark III and Browning Buck Marck URX. In a nutshell, this is what they said about each...

Ruger MkIII A+
Classic 6" barrel shooting sub inch groups "consistently". Fit, finish, trigger pull, balance- perfect. "You can't go wrong here". Smallest group at 15 yds: .7 inches. Largest: 1.2 Inches. Average 1 inch.

Beretta U22 C-
Goofy looking top metal, decent and clever design. Didn't like "excess" slant on grip. Checkering on the grip worked well. Easy to scope, but not satisfied with groupings. Smallest group at 15 yds: 2.3 Inches. Largest: 4.5 inches. Average: 3.6 inches.

Browning Buck Mark C+
Good looking pistol with comfortable grips. Many versions of the gun with adj. sights. Didn't meet accuracy of Ruger, and costs slightly more. This model had a slab sided bull barrel and finger groove grips. Smallest group at 15 yds: 1.2 inches. Largest: 1.6 inches. Average: 1.4 inches.

I had a Browning Buck Mark Camper model. I bought it for about $270. It shot well. Never had any problems. I can say from experience that disassembling a Buck Mark isn't too hard. Just gotta take some screws out to field strip it for cleaning. I know the Ruger is a pain in the ass, but after you do it a few times, you get used to it. The article said the Beretta was the easiest to disassemble and they liked that about it. I have always liked the Ruger .22 autos, and really want to get a Mk III with a tapered barrel, like the one they reviewed in this article. The only reason I got rid of my Buck Mark is I thought it was a little bit ugly with the bull barrel. I really like the look of the Ruger Mk III with the tapered barrel. Looks kind of like a Luger. But I got about $200 out of my Browning I put towards a Walther P-38, so the .22 will have to wait for now.

Hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, Iron Colonel!

I purchased my first handgun yesterday and ended up with a Ruger Mark III Hunter. I previously did not want to even consider a Ruger due to personal experience w/ a Mark II a couple of months ago (i.e., the edges & various mechanisms were extremely rough/sharp & kept slicing my fingers open on 'em; they (the fingers) were nice & swollen for days afterwards). However, I did enjoy shooting it. T'was extremely accurate, felt solid, etc.

Checked out the Beretta Neo and although nice, it felt too light for me. I got laughed at on that one. Allegedly, "most girls actually want the lightest gun." Otherwise, action was smooth and it fit my hand well.

Checked out a couple of different Buck Marks and nice, liked the various mechanisms (safety, bolt stop, etc.) on it better than the Ruger (another thing that irked me w/ the MkII) but something simply did not 'fit' right.

Not that the MkIII is perfect for my li'l hand either, but I am at least used to it. Now, I only have to get used to fiber optic sights, which I have never, ever used before. Gives me an excuse to hit the range more often. :p

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Congratulations on your first handgun!! :thumbsup:

You can never go wrong with a good .22LR. They're fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. Wish you much fun and many happy rounds!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, SheNine. I look forward to getting to the range with it. First, I need to find time to field strip it and attempt to put the ******* back together. Although I keep hearing complaints about the Ruger's reassembly, I am actually looking forward to it. Must be my masochistic side. :wink5:

My recent purchase must have concerned the spouse, as I caught him pulling his firearms out to take a look at 'em late last night. :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts