National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Genius in Training
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Fawn Snout Art Tail

I was hoping to break out a different rifle but ended up using old reliable instead, oh well.

I forgot that sunrise and shoot time are not the same so end up in the blind 30min late, you could see fairly well already. Thought I might be screwed for the day but I sat there for 10-15 min and out come 4 does and a buck. I have a permit for a doe and another permit for either. They walk right towards me, I nail the buck, two does run away and two stand there and look at me. Might as well, the one on the left is little bigger...bang. Two deer for 15 minutes of seat time. I was not looking forward to sitting in the cold for 3hrs like usual so I was pretty happy with that.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
.308? 450 bushmaster or 350 legend?

·
Genius in Training
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
That's a good day's work. Do you do your own processing or have it done?

Alan

·
Genius in Training
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I grind it all and use it as ground beef. Won’t need the buy beef for 9 months.
I would mix mine with fatty ground beef. Most venison can be lean.

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
Since the first one, I have butchered my own animals (except one, late shot one Sunday afternoon and was not going to have time to do it that week). There was really no other way to get it done as there were no packing houses or processing facilities in the area. I learned more about animal anatomy doing that than in all my science classes combined. In the early years the backstraps and tenderloins were the only thing that escaped the grinder. Later I got a little more sophisticated with muscling out the hams and crosscutting the shoulders into soup and stew bones (and also excellent Swiss Steak). I would also cut all the ligaments, sinew and anything that wasn't meat out before it went through the grinder.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
16,423 Posts
One of my favorite camp meals was chili made from the deer neck. There is lots of connective tissue in there so a sharp filet knife can separate out most of the meat pretty quick. I'd then chop it fairly well but still coarse enough to see that it was meat. Browned and then mixed with all the other usual chili ingredients. Simmered in a cast iron Dutch oven makes for a great evening, after the hunt meal on a cold night...

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1 and Wag

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
I don’t use beef fat because it’s not as stable as pork fat. I’ve even ground bacon into our venison. We sent the boned out meat to a local butcher and got kielbasa and hotdogs. They are delish! Everybody loves them. It great to see people who won’t eat venison surprised it’s so good.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I buy the large packs of bacon ends and pieces to grind up with venison. Makes great bacon burgers. Some with no fat for chili. Always cut out thin steaks for chicken fry as well. Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

·
Salmon Slayer
1,105 Posts
Congrats on the 2 deer. We have to use .24 caliber and up in PA. And no semi-auto for big game.
What??? Gun haters are everywhere!
One can turn off a piston and a DI gun to shoot single shots, is that allowed? Or is the restriction just because they are evil black rifles?

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
14,010 Posts
At one time we could not use any semi-autos. Now we can for small game and varmints. I think they are phasing it in. One day we will be allowed for big game. I have mixed feelings on it. I can see someone getting shot. From an excited hunter doing a mag dump. Our rifle season starts Saturday. I'll go out Tuesday when there is less hunters out.

·
Genius in Training
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At one time we could not use any semi-autos. Now we can for small game and varmints. I think they are phasing it in. One day we will be allowed for big game. I have mixed feelings on it. I can see someone getting shot. From an excited hunter doing a mag dump. Our rifle season starts Saturday. I'll go out Tuesday when there is less hunters out.
I’m sure someone has done it but in Nebraska semi auto is legal and I’ve never heard of someone doing something so stupid. Although you are limited to a five round magazine so your magnum will be short-lived. Regardless, someone who rapidfires at a deer should not be allowed to hunt anymore.

·
Salmon Slayer
1,105 Posts
I understand your concerns with the current mentality we have in our society. On another note, on another forum a member said that his dad was almost shot well hunting in Arkansas. It’s crazy out there. Be safe.

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 20 of 21 Posts