National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father had purchased several rifles prior to the 94 ban. Reading info on NRA site about this ban I noted that the law banned possession of specific semi auto weapons. But it also stated that Semi Auto Weapons lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994, were not covered by the ban. And I assume the same applied to high cap mags. Would it have been a matter of having to prove the weapon was purchased prior to the ban if confronted by authorities?


In addition reading around the net I noted that H.R. 1022: Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 is floating around and reading up on it I noted that they are attempting to add hundreds more guns to the banned list. Basically anything that isn't intended for sporting purposes and weapons that were originally designed and manufactured for military use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
It ended in 2004. Question answered. Next?
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
I think we are all aware of the dangers looming on the horizion with the Carolyn McCarthy bills in the wings and are watching them closely.

All gun owners need to link hands and join together with hunters, collector, and mfg to fight like heck against any more restrictions. If the liberals win the White House in O8 we will be lucky to have access to any firearms after eight years with this anti-gun congress.

Right now there are only state restrictions on semi-autos and magazine quantities. The exception is imports, of course. I have no idea what the laws of your state are but that should be very easy to find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
If the gun was purchased before the ban took effect, the SN would prove that it was manufactured before the ban date. But since the ban has sunsetted, does it matter? I'm not sure if VA kept the ban when the stupid law sunsetted.

You know, hi-cap mags being outlawed did absolutely nothing for the crime problem, and dont even get me started on the bayonet lug thing....just plain stupid....How many 7-elevens were robbed by a bayonet charge?...puh-leeze...
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It simply didn't make any sense to me for a law to say something was forbidden for me to possess and in the same breath say but if you had owned it prior to the new law its ok to possess it.

And if the latest attempt to take our right to possess them goes through I wonder if we will still be grandfathered for purchases prior to the new date if it passes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
Well, you gonna let 'em take it? They already have in LA during the Katrina aftermath. I've told my wife, if that day ever comes, you better take the kids to you mom's, cause there's gonna be trouble.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hawkeye59 said:
It simply didn't make any sense to me for a law to say something was forbidden for me to possess and in the same breath say but if you had owned it prior to the new law its ok to possess it.

And if the latest attempt to take our right to possess them goes through I wonder if we will still be grandfathered for purchases prior to the new date if it passes.
Laws like the 1994 ban are created to to thin out the number of "assault" type weapons, not eliminate them.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Glock and Load said:
Hawkeye59 said:
It simply didn't make any sense to me for a law to say something was forbidden for me to possess and in the same breath say but if you had owned it prior to the new law its ok to possess it.

And if the latest attempt to take our right to possess them goes through I wonder if we will still be grandfathered for purchases prior to the new date if it passes.
Laws like the 1994 ban are created to to thin out the number of "assault" type weapons, not eliminate them.

Thats correct! The anti-gun folks have discovered that if they move with incremental changes they can succeed. Taking little baby steps works for them. If they come at us full force we bite back so they just slip in a new law here and there and one day you wake up and you are in a check and check mate situation.

They only way to combat this method is to do the baby steps back the other way. Keep filing lawsuit after lawsuit to gain back the power that they are stealing. Our side doesn't seem to be as smart in using this tactic for some unknown reason but we are getting better. I think that the law community and law schools are dominated by liberals and this puts us at a big disadvantage since its always lawyers that control most political office of any standing.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the past I wouldn't have any dealings with the bans with the 2 simi's I owned, but having taken over items from my incapacitated father I need to keep up with the issues I suppose.

Have taken possession of

Chinese SKS with spike bayonet
2 Winchester Defender 12 ga. 1 with pistol grip
Marlin model 9 Camp Carbine
Ruger Mini-14
M1 Carbine
Mak-90
Mac-11

and a dozen hand guns
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
To directly answer the question, the imported stuff like the SKS has a date of importation stamp on the stock some place. High capacity magazines that were produced after or during the AWB were stamped "Law Enforcement Use" on the base plate. The other stuff is identifiable by serial number or paper work if you kept it.

Since the sunset of the AWB in 2004, there have been 13 bills introduced to the congress to reauthorize with amendments that would make us pray for the 1994 ban. Most of the bills introduced by McCarthy did not have a grandfather clause and included things like my Garands, or any other former military firearm, so my Mauser's would all be on that list.

Sig232 is spot on about us banding together. But allow me to take this one step further. First, the 2nd has NOTHING, and I will repeat that NOTHING to do with hunting. It has EVERYTHING to do with individualism, the ability of the citizen to protect him or her self, be it against criminals or if need be the government itself. The real issue here is not about guns in reality. The socialists that have creped into our government know very well that they can not instill a socialist form of government while the rights of people to won firearms is in place. Once the 2nd is gone, then the rest of the Bill of Rights will follow down the path of a nice idea. This is about stripping Americans of ALL THEIR RIGHTS. It is a prelude to a socialist dictatorship. Yes, it may be based on the concepts of European Socialism. But really take a good long hard look at the European socialist states. Even Great Britain, France and Germany. The individual is subjugated and Dependant upon the state for everything. They really have no right to privacy, the state tells them what to do with their kids, what doctor to see and so on.

sorry to say that I believe we are losing the fight. We have no conservative politicians Democrate or Republican that actually and underTo stands the Constitution, or if they do they ignore it. Any constructionist candidate is branded a weirdo or loon by the media. And of course the sheeple just bleat along because if Oprah or Brad said that is good, it must be.

I think what is really making me sad is how easily duped the American public has become. Hillary is promising bread and circuses and she still is the front runner while honorable people like Mike Huckabee, Sam Brownback and I will say it Barach Obama (who was really a flash in the pan) can't seem to gain any traction. BTW, I included Obama because he refuses to get in the mud with Hillary. I don't agree with him politically but I do like the fact he seems to have some ethical standards.

My mantra these days to gun owners or self proclaimed conservatives who say they will not vote again as a point of protest, or that old tired "There is no one that reflects my views" has become, "If you don't vote then you have no right to complain"

Please folks, get out there and vote.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
dogsoldier said:
To directly answer the question, the imported stuff like the SKS has a date of importation stamp on the stock some place. High capacity magazines that were produced after or during the AWB were stamped "Law Enforcement Use" on the base plate. The other stuff is identifiable by serial number or paper work if you kept it.

Since the sunset of the AWB in 2004, there have been 13 bills introduced to the congress to reauthorize with amendments that would make us pray for the 1994 ban. Most of the bills introduced by McCarthy did not have a grandfather clause and included things like my Garands, or any other former military firearm, so my Mauser's would all be on that list.

Sig232 is spot on about us banding together. But allow me to take this one step further. First, the 2nd has NOTHING, and I will repeat that NOTHING to do with hunting. It has EVERYTHING to do with individualism, the ability of the citizen to protect him or her self, be it against criminals or if need be the government itself. The real issue here is not about guns in reality. The socialists that have creeped into our government know very well that they can not instill a socialist form of government while the rights of people to won firearms is in place. Once the 2nd is gone, then the rest of the Bill of Rights will follow down the path of a nice idea. This is about stripping Americans of ALL THEIR RIGHTS. It is a prelude to a socialist dictatorship. Yes, it may be based on the concepts of European Socialism. But really take a good long hard look at the European socialist states. Even Great Britain, France and Germany. The individual is subjugated and Dependant upon the state for everything. They really have no right to privacy, the state tells them what to do with their kids, what doctor to see and so on.

sorry to say that I believe we are losing the fight. We have no conservative politicians Democrat or Republican that actually and underTo stands the Constitution, or if they do they ignore it. Any constructionist candidate is branded a weirdo or loon by the media. And of course the sheeple just bleat along because if Oprah or Brad said that is good, it must be.

I think what is really making me sad is how easily duped the American public has become. Hillary is promising bread and circuses and she still is the front runner while honorable people like Mike Huckabee, Sam Brownback and I will say it Barach Obama (who was really a flash in the pan) can't seem to gain any traction. BTW, I included Obama because he refuses to get in the mud with Hillary. I don't agree with him politically but I do like the fact he seems to have some ethical standards.

My mantra these days to gun owners or self proclaimed conservatives who say they will not vote again as a point of protest, or that old tired "There is no one that reflects my views" has become, "If you don't vote then you have no right to complain"

Please folks, get out there and vote.

Well said! I certainly agree with your position on the socialism of Europe. The young college students from Europe think it is great. Hitlers young corps thought his form of government was great, too! They are short sighted and only see the wonderful feeding at the trough for all the sheep. They are to young to understand that they are being duped into giving up power and freedom for cookies!
 

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
Joined
·
55,659 Posts
Chinese SKS with spike bayonet
This is the only firearm mentioned that is a potential problem. The ban on bayonets on chinese SKS carbines was not part of the 1994 gun ban. It was already in place due to a Presidential edict. It has not expired.
To directly answer the question, the imported stuff like the SKS has a date of importation stamp on the stock some place.
Nope. There is no date stamp anywhere on imported firearms. In order to legally keep the bayonet on a Chinese SKS, you must have proof that it was imported prior to 1989. This proof must be produced upon demand by an official. If you do not have the original bill of sale, remove the bayonet. To not do so is a firearms violation. One of the penalties is the loss of firearms rights, forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
All the pre-ban SKS's (I own 3) have the importers mark with a date code on the stock. As does my Enfield. Wiithout checking the actual BATF importation of firearms rgulation, I am pretty sure the importers mark was needed. I could be wrong, but my Mausers have a mark also. I have six of those from various countries.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sig232 said:
Glock and Load said:
Hawkeye59 said:
It simply didn't make any sense to me for a law to say something was forbidden for me to possess and in the same breath say but if you had owned it prior to the new law its ok to possess it.

And if the latest attempt to take our right to possess them goes through I wonder if we will still be grandfathered for purchases prior to the new date if it passes.
Laws like the 1994 ban are created to to thin out the number of "assault" type weapons, not eliminate them.

Thats correct! The anti-gun folks have discovered that if they move with incremental changes they can succeed. Taking little baby steps works for them. If they come at us full force we bite back so they just slip in a new law here and there and one day you wake up and you are in a check and check mate situation.

They only way to combat this method is to do the baby steps back the other way. Keep filing lawsuit after lawsuit to gain back the power that they are stealing. Our side doesn't seem to be as smart in using this tactic for some unknown reason but we are getting better. I think that the law community and law schools are dominated by liberals and this puts us at a big disadvantage since its always lawyers that control most political office of any standing.
It is a giant game of chess. We need to counter whatever they come up with. We need to actively take baby steps back to offset the baby steps taken against us.

That said, I am fearful of the new wave of government officials we will be facing in the not so distant future...
 

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
Joined
·
55,659 Posts
There in NO requirement that a date code be placed on any imported firearm. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada. There is no Federal, or other, requirement that a date stamp be placed on any imported firearm. All that is required is that the importer's name and place of business be stamped on imported firearms.

For what its worth, I have owned, probably, fifty or more SKS carbines, more than one hundred various types of Mauser rifles and literally thousands of other imported forearms. I have also worked for a firearms importer. I am a working gunsmith. I have more than a general idea of what I speak.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hawkeye59 said:
My father had purchased several rifles prior to the 94 ban. Reading info on NRA site about this ban I noted that the law banned possession of specific semi auto weapons. But it also stated that Semi Auto Weapons lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994, were not covered by the ban. And I assume the same applied to high cap mags. Would it have been a matter of having to prove the weapon was purchased prior to the ban if confronted by authorities?


In addition reading around the net I noted that H.R. 1022: Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 is floating around and reading up on it I noted that they are attempting to add hundreds more guns to the banned list. Basically anything that isn't intended for sporting purposes and weapons that were originally designed and manufactured for military use.

I see that you are also from Virginia, so I'll fill you in on the Virginia take on these rifles. Virginia never has placed a restriction on private transfers of any of the rifles you mentioned. The only thing that they did impose was that the purchaser of what was defined as an "assault weapon" must show three forms of ID, instead of just two ONLY when the purchase was made from a licensed dealer. Since this does not apply in your case, there is no issue.

HR 10-22 is still in the resolution phase, and hopefully will never become a law.

If it does, and it provides any retroactive ban, then you have to ask yourself the question on if you would turn them in, bury them in watertight, airproof containers etc.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top