National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first 1911 this holiday. I'm going to try firing one before I buy one, but I've read numerous forum discussions on the recoil of the .45 auto through the 1911 platform. Almost everyone online says it's somewhere between a 9mm and a 357 magnum recoil-wise; not as snappy as the .357, but more pushy too.

However, I walked into a gun store today to handle some full size 1911s. I asked this seemingly smart guy at the counter how the recoil is for full size .45 size, stainless steel 1911s compared to .357 magnums (of which I've fired tons).

"Oh," he replies. "It's way, way more. I would say it's 3 to 4 times more than the recoil of the .357 magnum. The .45 has enormous recoil."

My jaw dropped. I asked if he was joking and he was dead serious.

So, I wanted your opinions. Is firing a 45 auto through a full size, stainless 1911 FOUR TIMES the recoil of a .357 magnum revolver? If so, I don't think I'm going to buy a 1911 anymore. Problem is, I've heard such good things. How accurate and how comfortable they are, etc.

·
Super Moderator
14,628 Posts
It's a completely different kind of recoil. Normally a 357 is fired from a revolver. Your grip is well below the line of the bore and it normally has a different kind of grip. With a 1911 the web of your hand is cradled in a little place just made for that and your hand/arm absorbs the recoil differently. Your arm is more in line with the bore and the grip you have on the pistol is different than with a revolver. The way I was taught to shoot a 1911 is gripping with my fingers and holding my thumb loosely along side the slide but not touching the slide (That habit will break itself).

Try not to be concerned with recoil when shooting.

The only thing about a 357 that will make it have less recoil is if you shoot 38 special in it.

Personally, I have found a 1911 easier and more pleasant to shoot than a revolver, and I like revolvers a lot.

Alan

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
It all depends on how you perceive recoil.

When fired out of identical platforms, .45 ACP recoil can be described as 'heavier' than the recoil of .357 Mag; while the recoil of .357 Mag can be described as 'sharper' than .45 ACP recoil.

OR... .45 ACP will push you and .357 Mag will slap you.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Aim true !
11,572 Posts
Absolutely not. Even a 38 special has more recoil than the 45 full frame gun. Heck even my Ruger P345 has less recoil.

·
Wyoming
4,251 Posts
If you are recoil sensitive many shooters are look at a 1911 pistol in 9MM. The ammo is much less expensive and there is a wide selection of 9MM ammo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All great replies. Re-affirms my decision in wanting to buy a 1911.

Not to go off topic, but what are your opinions on Smith & Wesson 1911s? I'm looking at their E-Series Stainless 1911 Full Size.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A lot depends on the weight of the revolver. I shoot a Kimber full size .45 1911 and a Colt trooper .357 which is a heavy .357 and never gave it much thought. I think the .45 auto might even be less with the action on the 1911 using some of the kinetic energy of the recoil. If you are comparing a full size 1911 to a .357 short barrel the .357 is going to be considerably snappier.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It's nothing of the sort... He should be smacked with a left hand holding a bologna sandwich..
Especially a full sized 1911 in .45acp is more then manageable.

As stated above, if recoil is a major concern for you, there are many 1911 9mm on the market.

There are also 357 mag 1911s on the market.. Big bucks but I've shot them both and the recoil isn't even close.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm, I don't know if recoil sensitive is the right word, but that's good advice if I didn't own so many 9mm's already, Dog Soldier!

It's more of a concern with shot placement. My MOA's tend to not be that great with a .357 at 25 yards if I'm trying to fire relatively fast, for example.

For some reason though, my intuition tells me I'd be halfway decent with a heavy, full-size .45 acp 1911, if not better than the 9mm's I own - since heavier guns handle recoil better.

·
AZHerper
4,268 Posts
Popeye described it very well. A push compared to a slap. The guy who said the 1911 was 3 to 4 times as bad as a .357 must have been on something. I've shot a lot of 45's and a lot of .357's and have owned several of each. Most 45 ACP's have similar recoil whether they're 1911's, clones or just something similar. The host of .357 pistols, revolvers, single-shots, etc runs a spectrum of different weights and recoils. I only have two .357's right now. One is a Rossi Ranch Hand which is a lever-action Mare's Leg pistol like the one Steve McQueen carried on the TV series "Wanted Dead or Alive". It weighs about 4 pounds and I say that it kicks about like a 1911 45. My other .357 is a Taurus 605SH2 titanium .357 revolver which only weighs 16 ounces. It kicks WAY worse than a 1911 45. Also, it is a very fast violent slap. I could shoot 1911's all day without being bothered by recoil. I'm not sure that I could do that with most .357's, particularly light ones. Anyway, now you have some opinions on this subject. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays however you choose.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I help a few guys at work above and beyond what is expected or required so my new saying is "the things I do for you." When I describe the things I do for them it sounds like I'm describing a helluva nice guy. So my other new saying is "I'm a helluva human being". I'd almost be perfect if I had more modesty and humility.

When I run into someone like you I tell you get a some 45 and 357 ammo then we go to the range and you can shoot my 1911 and 357 then you tell me about the recoil. I throw in compacts and snubs that run the gamut. After you thank me profusely for the fun and experience and what you learned firsthand. I say "dude the things I do for you".

By the way I run into a lot of those, "seemingly smart guy at the counter", guys that make ridiculous statements. I've learned to take what they say with a grain of salt.

·
Super Moderator
14,628 Posts
I have a 45 ACP cylinder for one of my 1873 Cattleman revolvers (actually for both of them). I have several Ruger Blackhawk SA 357 revolvers, one with 4" barrel. The two platforms are similar enough to be compared. Although I have never done a side by side test to see which one has the most perceived recoil, ... From what I remember the 45 ACP on the SA platform is very pleasant to shoot while the 357 is not.

Some of the unpleasantness for me is the sound. For whatever reasons, I do not like the report of a 357 mag or of a 223. That may be purely psychological, but that's the way it is for me. At any rate, the 357 in my mind has more perceived recoil than the 45 ACP on similar platforms.

Alan

·
Registered
61 Posts
It’s all about the frame and load. My S&W 340PD with full 357 loads, hurts your hand. Enough some people set it down and don’t take a second shot. I’ve never had someone comment that my 1911 hurts anyone’s hand.

Felt recoil is absorbed by the weight of the gun and the shooter. Heavier the frame, the less is felt.

You have a great Christmas present in mind.

While1911s are ‘standardized’, I can also tell you I have a bias for Kimber and Sigs in Blind pickups. I gravitate two those two every time. Grip and trigger.

Have fun!

PS. Don’t buy from Mr 4x the recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've given the 1911 to young teenagers to shoot. They do fine with it. I would not
hand these kids a .357 on a bet. Your seemingly smart guy at the LGS appears
misinformed.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Revolvers will either roll back in your hand or the muzzle flips up.

A .45 auto pushes back and torques - or twists - clockwise at the same time. The .45 ACP is very comfortable and controllable.

The .357 Magnum, shooting magnum loads, has, in my opinion, more sharp muzzle blast than the .45 ACP. But it too is quite manageable in the recoil department. The blast can be considerable with full-house loads. I stopped shooting those kinds of loads in college in the mid-1970's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first 1911 this holiday. I'm going to try firing one before I buy one, but I've read numerous forum discussions on the recoil of the .45 auto through the 1911 platform. Almost everyone online says it's somewhere between a 9mm and a 357 magnum recoil-wise; not as snappy as the .357, but more pushy too.

However, I walked into a gun store today to handle some full size 1911s. I asked this seemingly smart guy at the counter how the recoil is for full size .45 size, stainless steel 1911s compared to .357 magnums (of which I've fired tons).

"Oh," he replies. "It's way, way more. I would say it's 3 to 4 times more than the recoil of the .357 magnum. The .45 has enormous recoil."

My jaw dropped. I asked if he was joking and he was dead serious.

So, I wanted your opinions. Is firing a 45 auto through a full size, stainless 1911 FOUR TIMES the recoil of a .357 magnum revolver? If so, I don't think I'm going to buy a 1911 anymore. Problem is, I've heard such good things. How accurate and how comfortable they are, etc.
What would have 4-5x the recoil than a 357... not much. A 44mag, a 454 Casull, a 460vr 480 Ruger a S&W 500?
I don’t know I could order those right, but none would be 4-5x more than a 357. Maybe 2x when your shooting 300gn bullets at 1500fps....

You’ll love the 1911. You can always load 185gn or 200gn for reduced recoil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
With me, the full size 1911 is smooth to shoot where with the 357 Magnum 4" barrel is a little stouter though nothing to be worried over. My students love the 1911 and how it shoots, just most would find the 1911 5" Government is a bit big for them to carry. So would the 4" 357 Magnum. The 357 Magnum is tougher for them to handle, I use two 357 Magnums during my teachings, the 4" Ruger GP100 and the 2 1/2" SP101, this way they know what to expect (for recoil) when looking to purchase s firearm. Like when some gun store trys to sell s new shooter 12oz 357 Magnum for their first firearm....seen it.

I try to teach to them (first time shooters) barrel length, firearm weight, snd caliber will play on how they will feel recoil. I let them go through a cylinder of the two 357 Magnums, if they feel like to or if I see they're sble to control it, some stop after the first two rounds in the SP101. Some firearms and calibers are not for first time shooters or for people who want to carry for the first time. Previous students, Grandmothers, liked shooting the 1911 though most of them most said it was big for them to carry or have round the house.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts