National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beat to death on other forums, and that there is no definitive answer. However, I've recently come into possession of a Kimber custom II two-tone for roughly half of the retail ($410 got me the pistol w/ factory mag, a pro mag, and a cheap holster). I was saving for a gen 5 Glock 19 but jumped on this when I had opportunity, thinking at worst I could likely trade for the glock. I have spent enough time with Glocks and m&p to say I prefer a polymer pistol with a double stack magazine. But now that I've put around 100 rounds through the Kimber, I'm having trouble making a decision. What's everyone's opinion on this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
With Kimber, seems like people either live them or hate them. Never really bothered to try them myself, though, for the price they usually go for, I'd rather get a Colt. That said, sounds like you got it for a steal, and even if it's a mediocre gun, you're not gonna find an american made 1911 for much cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up:
If I do decide to keep it, I'd like to put a compensator on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, threaded, match grade barrel?

·
Aim true !
9,464 Posts
Good to hear your going with a threaded compensator. The barrel bushing ones can batter the slide frame. But do you really need comp for a 1911? I had a comp that came with a used 45 acp 1911. Did not notice any difference, Between it and my other 45 1911, Sold the comp and put a stock bushing on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's predominantly an aesthetic modification for me, however I would also like the versatility of being able to fit a suppressor for range shooting on my property

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
The problem here as I see it, you’ve been bitten by the 1911 bug but you’re in denial. Once you enjoy the 1911 and realize that it’s a much nicer shooting, carrying and handling pistol it tough to give them up. It’s slim design coupled with a hard hitting slug makes it a winner. Magazine capacity isn’t really and objection. Just carry another magazine. However, one or two well placed 230 gr critical defense rounds are worth 5 or 6 - 9mm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't deny that the more rounds I put through it, the more it won me over. I love the trigger feel, and the fact that it is uniform from first shot to last. For a carry gun it's a little heavier and longer than i was looking for, but I do like how that extra weight handles the recoil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had planned on getting the Glock for concealed EDC, but am having a hard time picturing carrying a full size 1911 as my personal EDC in any concealed carry capacity. Obviously the 1911 wasn't designed for concealment, but I'm not opposed to open carry.

·
Live Free
2,603 Posts
I like metal framed pistols, especially 1911’s and I am not particularly fond of Glocks, so I am a bit prejudiced to start. That said, I am not against polymer guns especially for EDC. A full size 1911 with steel frame is a heavy gun to carry and conceal, but a great pistol. If I recall, the Kimber Custom II has plain black sights, more suitable for target use than EDC. So, keep the Kimber for the joy of shooting it and then find a suitable EDC too. Two guns are better than one! But trading a 1911 for a Glock is like trading a Mercedes for a VW. :frown2:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
keep it a while and do not rush to judgment......either you will decide to keep it or trade it.

its going to come down to "wants" vs "needs".....frankly what i would "want" is the 1911 for oc, competition, and range fun.....what i would "need" for concealed carry would be more like a glock 26 or 27......the mid size and full size glocks never tripped my trigger for any purpose....but that is me.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the responses from everyone. I'm going to continue to look for an appropriate concealed EDC. As someone not particularly well versed in 1911's everyone's opinion is very helpful. And if nothing else I will be keeping the Kimber as a range pistol if only for the enjoyment of shooting. I'll continue to carry the Kimber until I've got something more suitable for concealment. Everyone's opinion seems to skew towards the 1911 (even a cheap one). What are the eselsential upgrades everyone would consider for the 1911

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
There are no 'essential' upgrades for a 1911. Sights can be changed to suit your fancy. Later on, once you've become famaliar with the pistol, you may want to spring for a trigger job.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
an essential for me is an ambi safety as i am a lefty......

just about every 1911 i have owned in years past had a change of grips to my tastes.......

other than that, i left them purty much stock.......and used wilson mags....

·
Registered
468 Posts
A Glock is a Chevy Malibu. You get in it and it drives to where you want to go. That's good. Then what? Soulless box on wheels with nothing to commend itself other than it works and isn't very expensive.

A decent 1911 is like a reliable vintage car. Timeless, classic, solid, a joy. Fantastic trigger. It doesn't have as many bullets as the Tupperware gun? Learn to shoot it well and it will never let you down.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
My 1911 is a full size govt. EDC concealed? Not so much. I would definitely look at a compact one for EDC but then again I’m in NJ and we can’t even buy a BB gun. Glock is a fine gun. Just not as good as the hype. My 1911 has had some trigger work and grips. That’s as far as I needed to go. Some guys go wild and some go stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts