National Gun Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have come around to liking the idea of a 1911 9mm, but when I bought one in .45 auto, that was the only round for me. I have since fired a Delta Elite, and it changed my mind, about other calibers in a 1911.

·
Aim true !
11,950 Posts
I was going to get one in 40. But i can down load my 10mm to close to 40.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have Ronins in both .45 & 9. I'm sorry I let my pre-war Colt go years ago, but these are pleasant replacements. A lot of respect for the classic .45 round, but the 9mm is a better long range day choice.

·
Live Free
3,499 Posts
From a traditional view, the 1911 is .45 ACP. But the platform is wonderfully adaptable to various calibers as has been expressed already. Personally it is great in 10mm, and I think it ought to be a really pleasant shooting 9mm…been thinking I might like one some day…

·
Super Moderator
12,617 Posts
And what about us how love the 1911 and can't use 45 cal, due to accident and surgery I no longer have the strength to lift a loaded 45 cal. Never mind handle 45 cal recoil. I can use 9mm, difficult but doable. and love the 1911 design. Are you saying I can't call my gun a 1911 since it is not chambered for 45cal?
Call it Bob, Dick, Harry, Suzie Q or whatever you like. No need to get all bent about someone else's opinion!

--Wag--

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
I am not bet out of shape I'm just pointing out how narrow minded that statement was.
Yeah, you're going to run into "traditionalists" when talking about 1911s. Best to just ignore it. The 9mm is exactly the same in function and aesthetics. There are far bigger variations in just the 45 versions than the 9mm brings to the table... full length guide rods vs partial length, bushing vs bull barrel, single stack vs double stack, 7rd vs 8 rd, dovetailed sight vs staked, GI sights vs 3 dot, parkerized vs stainless. Unless someone is buying a parkerized, milspec, 7rd, GI model M1911 then the "real 1911" argument is moot. For that much, the M1911A1 isn't a real 1911 either. Maybe they should rename that to the 1924 (yes, I'm being sarcastic).

The 1911 as we know it today is a platform, much like the AR-15 is.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts