National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the aluminum feed ramps? Such with how long do they last? Reliability for feeding hollow points? etc etc This Kimber I got is the first 1911 I've had with aluminum feed ramps. Its really getting me wondering if the money I spent for parts on it is for nothing.

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to give these a try.....

1911 Follower - CHECK-MATE MAGAZINES

1911 .45 ACP - CHECK-MATE MAGAZINES

Thing is wear is thought of n if it wears out how would Kimber repair it? The issue with me is being a soft metal n the cartridge driving into the ramp so its not sliding up to be chambered. Looks like on my ramp failure to feed is possible or took place.

Attachments

· Live Free
4,517 Posts
It is looking a bit pitted and worn isn’t it? I like the ramped frame over the ramped barrel in a 1911, mostly I guess because it is more traditional design. But with an aluminum frame I think a ramped barrel makes more sense; that is how my Springfield RO Compact is built. I suppose it might last a long time, but I would be questioning based on appearance too. A steady diet of ball ammo might minimize wear...

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the ramp on the frame too just I question the aluminum ramp. Through the years people said to me don't worry bout the aluminum, its a 1911, just shoot it, it wont wear out, its meant to be shot. That's like saying just get in the smart car is a car just drive it, its meant to be driven. Like you the ramped barrel wouldn't bother me if it was in the aluminum frame. I wasn't looking for s throw away 1911 when I bought this or when giving Kimber a try.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

· Live Free
4,517 Posts
I like the ramp on the frame too just I question the aluminum ramp. Through the years people said to me don't worry bout the aluminum, its a 1911, just shoot it, it wont wear out, its meant to be shot. That's like saying just get in the smart car is a car just drive it, its meant to be driven. Like you the ramped barrel wouldn't bother me if it was in the aluminum frame. I wasn't looking for s throw away 1911 when I bought this or when giving Kimber a try.
Yep, and as you already pointed out, that isn’t really reparable without replacing the entire frame. You could smooth it out a bit, but I would be afraid of removing too much material way too easily. You going to discuss it with Kimber?

· Registered
22,106 Posts
Since 1970 - 50 years back - when I got into handguns and began subscribing and buying from the shelves, gun magazines. I've never heard of aluminum alloy (that's hardened aluminum, now) feed-ramps posing any major problems to gun owners. Believe me. If it had become a problem, gun-owners would have written about it!

I suppose you might use your computer's Search Engine to check it out.

· Premium Member
9,954 Posts
Yeah I hate to tell you but you got screwed of that gun. I’ll take it off your Hands so you can lick your financial wounds. This is going to sting at first but you’ll soon realize that it’s for the best and you’ll be a bit wiser for it. Let’s say I give you $250. for it. I know, I know, that’s as generous as I can be and you’re loosing on it but you can’t expect me to completely bail you out a get stuck with that paper weight for what you paid for it. I’ll give you my LGS so you can send it. Sorry for the lesson but that’s life. Just go ahead and pack it up and send it. I’ll even pay for the shipping.

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"My hand me down Kimber is going on 20 years and the ramp is fine. Feeds HP's fine."

Is your feed ramp looking like mine and is it aluminum?

Edit: quote didnt take

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep, and as you already pointed out, that isn’t really reparable without replacing the entire frame. You could smooth it out a bit, but I would be afraid of removing too much material way too easily. You going to discuss it with Kimber?

Going to call them when I find out more on this issue. Right now I'm just looking to see what I can find out. Not really looking to open the can unless I'm ready for it. I read Kimber's C/S sucks. So no use going into something I'm not prepared. If I find out its nothing then no need to call. Right now to me looks like my feed ramp has seen better days.

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems those checkmate magazines are the way to go for aluminum feed ramps. Looks like they help the cartridge not damage the feed ramp. Found this the other night....

Checkmate follower

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for posting that. I'm gonna give it one heck of a cleaning first, then buy those magazines and a few followers and springs. Something isn't fitting. I see this firearm is the only one with this issue.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Just one last follow up, I don't shoot anything other than factory jacketed ammo. I shoot ball for practice with some HP. When out an about it's loaded with HP's. My brother was an avid reloader and I saw mags with both when we were up cleaning.

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'll be...… Take a look gentlemen and you can laugh all you want. I'm ready lol. Learned some good lesson there.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spent bout an hour and a half cleaning it last night and surprised myself...well laughed at myself.
I cleaned this thing when I first got it home. Guess I didn't clean it well enough or I was in a hurry. Surprised it was still this dirty after I cleaned it.
Now, cleaning that feed ramp, barrel, and the chamber did take a long time and I used a little muscle. Still looks like I can get those two marks out of the ramp. I'll try again later tonight with a toothpick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.