National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, so I had something interesting happen today while firing my Colt Walther 1911 22lr Rail Gun. I was using that Winchester 22lr boxed ammo that comes with 555 cartridges. I noticed that 1/10 times the gun would jam and have a failure to feed, leaving the next cartridge not completely loaded in the chamber, maybe half way or none at all. The previous fire, it extracted poorly. At one point, one of the catridges exploded from the back, which im assuming was because it was not loaded in the chamber completely but still fired off the bullet but leaving the rest in the chamber, unable to extract. Has anyone else experienced this before, i'm thinking it must be bc of a failure to feed either from the slide or the magazine spring. Any ideas or advice? I posted a few pics.

Thanks everyone
20191217_111657.jpg 20191217_123611.jpg View attachment 108726 20191217_133134.jpg

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Did you already scrub the chamber and inspect it?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It's chambering so I doubt it's the mag. Don't know if your gun is new, used or what. Whenever you have problems like this unless the problem is obvious go back to basics. Thoroughly clean and properly lube (not the chamber or barrel). Try different ammo and another mag if you have one.

Send it back for repair if it still does it. Always wear eye protection and It's that time of year when we are all reminded of the warning. "You'll shoot your eye out"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's chambering so I doubt it's the mag. Don't know if your gun is new, used or what. Whenever you have problems like this unless the problem is obvious go back to basics. Thoroughly clean and properly lube (not the chamber or barrel). Try different ammo and another mag if you have one.

Send it back for repair if it still does it. Always wear eye protection and It's that time of year when we are all reminded of the warning. "You'll shoot your eye out"
I cleaned out the chamber a week before shooting it today. And I bought the gun new in September but must have put 1500+ rounds in it already. I do lube it but maybe not as much as I should, when I pull the slide back it has a grainy kind of sound to it. I heard that these 1911s need a lot of oil. I ordered another mag for it last night, and no, I have not used any other ammo for this than the Winchester.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"You'll shoot your eye out"
I heard that! When the cartridge blew up i felt a warm whisp of something blowing into my face and eyes. Lucky it wasn't a scrap of brass. And yeah I inspected the chamber afterwards, no cracks or damage, just dirty as **** now. I'm picking up some eye wear after work.

·
Aim true !
10,269 Posts
Wow never saw a 22 casing blow apart before. Im having issues with my rail gun too. I need call Walther again for the return label. Mine is locking open before last round. And the slide is sloppy. It has a lot of rounds though it. Former owner used it in competition. Found this out after i bought it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Winchester 22LR bulk ammo seems to be made at the edge of specs, I've noticed it fits the chambers of my revolvers more snugly than other brands and I've had issues with it feeding in my semi-auto's. Try using CCI Standard Velocity in your pistol and see if it'll run with that.

·
Aim true !
10,269 Posts
Interesting on the Winchester. I been running the 555 bulk. Im going to try some remington in mine. The Winchester stovepipes on my Ruger MK4 when it starts to get dirty.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Remington .22 ammo is well known to be the worst ammo for auto guns. The Winchester used to be good but I don’t know about now. CCI is top shelf. Their Mini Mags were always my favorite. Auto’s can be picky on the ammo they like. Most of your loose pack bulk boxes are not their best run ammo.

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
I cleaned out the chamber a week before shooting it today. And I bought the gun new in September but must have put 1500+ rounds in it already. I do lube it but maybe not as much as I should, when I pull the slide back it has a grainy kind of sound to it. I heard that these 1911s need a lot of oil. I ordered another mag for it last night, and no, I have not used any other ammo for this than the Winchester.
If the slide is making a grainy or gritty sound, I would encourage field strip, thoroughly clean and lube. If the slide is dirty and gritty it can easily create some feeding problems. Rimfires have a tendency to make a gun filthy anyway, but Winchester bulk can even be worse.

Having a round blow apart would sure get your attention, even with a .22. Gotta protect your eyes

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Man oh Man where to start 1) Clean chamber, 2) Polish feed ramp 3) Magazine Springs 4) Change ammo 5) throat the Chamber start with 1 and work up slowly throating chamber is a drastic last step....

·
Aim true !
10,269 Posts
I have CCI on hand too. I'll try them too, Before i call Walther. The former owner used CCI stingers.

Reactions: RMLamp

·
Aim true !
10,269 Posts
A warm up is on the way. I'll get some outdoor trigger time in soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the slide is making a grainy or gritty sound, I would encourage field strip, thoroughly clean and lube. If the slide is dirty and gritty it can easily create some feeding problems. Rimfires have a tendency to make a gun filthy anyway, but Winchester bulk can even be worse.

Having a round blow apart would sure get your attention, even with a .22. Gotta protect your eyes
What Aged Warrior said!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts