National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Field strip, clean the barrel from the chamber(breech) end.
Hoppes, and Q-tips for general wipe-down of interior parts.
Barrel- 1.-Janitor's ammonia and water; 2.- Brown Vinegar, 3.-Dawn & water, 4.-Hoppes, Brush in one treatment, and swab it out with patches, then proceed to the next treatment. (as needed, depends on the extent of the dirt in the barrel)
After Cleanup, a sparing lube, with Clenzoil.

As Kilted Cowboy mentioned, try not to get it too dirty, cleanup is easier.

· Registered
396 Posts
For basic cleaning on most guns, I use Outers 3-in-1. I use bore cleaner (such as nitro solvent) if there is a lot of fowling or if I use unjacketed lead bullets. Straight gun oil is used after cleaning if I expect the gun to be stored for any substantial length of time.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
You may not have realized it but cleaning and lube threads have generally been beat to death on most forums. Sometimes tempers flare but hey, it's all good, looks like things have been relatively calm. I'm not even going to mention going green with Frog lube and my belief it makes subsequent cleaning easier.

If you have your own tried and true gun cleaning regimen go with what you know and already feel comfortable with. The difference between an all metal pistol and a part polymer pistol is one is all metal and one is part polymer. The operation is basically the same and they have the same contact and wear points. It might behoove you to look through the owners manual and go with the manufacturers recommendations.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
Disclaimer: I've been cleaning guns for years now, but this is the first time I've had a 1911 and a competition level one at that. Never had an all steel gun before last week.
You might try a very light film of quality grease on the slide rails. I use Slip 2000 EWG; it never dries or cakes up...very smooth slide. There are other good products obviously, that’s just my choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.