National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Strange question with no context....
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone knows Springfield was sued by Mauser over the 1903's bolt design and Mauser Won.

But that aside it really looks to me that the developers liked the Gew98 so much they added the wood ramp to mimic the Gew98's roller coaster sight.
Wood Hardwood Air gun Font Rectangle
Wood Metal Fashion accessory Rectangle

· Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
Arms makers seldom refrain from imitating the latest greatest design. One simple change to the firing pin fixed the lawsuit.

Having used both types I have some preferences... In my opinion the Springfield is the vastly superior weapon. For a hunting rifle I prefer the Mauser...

The Springfield is fast, the bolt can be cycled effortlessly and the sights are easier for me to acquire. There is a lot of hollow in the Springfield and a lot of noise in cycling the bolt.

The Mauser is tight, good fit of metal to wood, and I think, generally, the trigger is a bit better. But, the sights are darn near hidden.

With that said,

I have a number of custom rifles built on both actions and I have no preference one over the other on those other than that the 03 actions are finished to a greater degree than the 03A3s...

Alan

Reactions: Popeye

· Registered
775 Posts
Thought this may be of interest to you guys. The original 1903 and Serial Number 1. It is in the center of the case.
Flanked by the other two later versions.

Musical instrument Wood Shotgun Art Wind instrument

Rectangle Line Font Signage Tints and shades

Wood Shotgun Metal Flooring Human leg

The rifle on the right is in 30-06. The rifle on left I think is an O3A3.

These are in the Rock Island Arsenal Army Museum. Along with guns from nearly every war we have ever had.
A gun lovers Paradise. All about 10 miles from my home.

· Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
They are all 03s... The 03A3 had an aperture rear sight and some other differences.

As most likely know, firing a 30-06 round in a 30-03 rifle is extremely dangerous. I used to know the reason for the change to a 308 bullet, but it's late and I forgot...

Alan

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

· Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
Yes, 9:30 is late....

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts