National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this with you folks.

Just finished restoring a 1901 Quackenbush Bicycle Rifle. Only 4,321 were made between 1896 and 1919. The rifle was marketed to boys, and sold for $5.00 at the time. For an additional .40 cents you could get a canvas holster that attached to a bicycle frame to carry the rifle in.

When I received this rifle, the original stock and handle had been re-made, and it did not look very good, or close to the original. Using a copy of the original patent and various measurement information obtained from "Quackenbush Guns" by John Groenewold, we were able to get pretty close to the original look.

The rifle is a pleasure to shoot, and the breech loading system is pretty unique and adds to whole experience of the rifle.. Sadly the rifle has a restricted status in Canada, so I can't take it out for some fun in the back woods. You can only shoot this in a range.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
27,249 Posts
I have never seen anything like that. What caliber does it shoot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have never seen anything like that. What caliber does it shoot?
.22LR however some models between 1906 and 1918 only shot .22 Short.

I believe mine has had a lot of .22 Short shot from it and I found that ejecting .22LR casing get stuck due to poor cleaning and corrosion in the past (I am assuming). She shoots .22 Short and ejects no problem. I suppose I could fix that but for the the odd time I take it out, I think I will leave it.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,689 Posts
Nice restoration work.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Never seen nor heard of one. Great work----very unusual piece.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
I agree very unique looking gun and great job on bringing it back to life. How long is the barrel on that? Sort of has the luger shape to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree very unique looking gun and great job on bringing it back to life. How long is the barrel on that? Sort of has the luger shape to it.
Barrel is 12" (or 30.5cm for metric folks). You know I never saw the likeness to a Luger till you mentioned it, good point.

Also, thanks to all who replied with all the positive comments. It was fun to work on and learn the history. Nothing like appreciating the history of fine crafts people in the USA and Canada than getting into a project like this.

The author of the book I have about these guns has one for sale if anyone is interested in owning one. Folks can PM me and I will pass on the contact info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you post photo's of the Quackenbush or do you still have it would like to see it as I have one also needs the wire shoulder stock.

Thank you
Stan johnson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you post photo's of the Quackenbush or do you still have it would like to see it as I have one also needs the wire shoulder stock.

Thank you
Stan johnson
Hi Stan,

I sold it a few years back, but I do have photos I could send you and info (just message me). Also see: https://www.jgairguns.biz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=324&page=1 and/or contact John directly as he told me he had stocks (though it was years ago now).

Good luck with your search!

David

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I love a good resto even a a complete resto if done proper to the gun/style as it was..Now I have seen some builds I love as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts