National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is complicated and I've looked everywhere for info on it but can't find it. So in idaho it's legal for persons between the age of 18-20 to possess a handgun, as well as purchase a handgun privately. I want to purchase a hand from a pawn shop, and my dad would do it for me, but here's where it gets tricky, in 2 months I'm moving to missouri to live with my mom, BUT she's a felon and can not legally possess firearms. Not only that but the government has the right to search the house at any given moment. So the obvious way around that is to have the handgun registered in my name, but I can't do that if I'm buying private in idaho, and I can't find a form anywhere that my dad could fill out transferring legal ownership to me. Am I just not going to be able to own a handgun till I'm 21, or is it there someway to register a handgun in my name at 18. Thanks 馃憤

Registered
The one thing I will say is Missouri tends to have pretty decent gun laws and from what I understand, allows an 18 year old to purchase a handgun. And you will eventually have to be dealing with Missouri laws and law enforcement. If I were you, I would wait until you get to Missouri, hire a Missouri lawyer and get it all worked out there.

You could figure out a way to get the gun in Idaho now, but a couple of months later, still have a problem in MO.

Grand Imperial Poobah
Even though you somehow come to "own" a firearm, taking it to your mom's residence exposes her to possible criminal prosecution. Because it is HER residence and there would be a firearm on the premises.

Keep calm & return fire!
Even though you somehow come to "own" a firearm, taking it to your mom's residence exposes her to possible criminal prosecution. Because it is HER residence and there would be a firearm on the premises.
I'm not so sure about that.
Lets hypothetically say someone in my house is a felon, wife, adult offspring... That doesn't disqualify ME from owning a firearm or keeping one (or many) in my residence.
Granted it must be secured to the point that it can not come under control of the felon.

On another forum I belong to a member, in California of all places is a felon. He obviously can not own guns but his wife is a gun owner.

EDIT:
Just want to add....
Do I think an 18yr old having a firearm in an felons house is a good idea?...Not even a little.
Terrible idea and should be completely avoided in my opinion.

Premium Member
Take the handgun and any others guns you want to your moms house. I see a win win here. She gets popped for the guns and you live the single life in a sweet place. No nagging mom telling you what to do. You can convince all the girls it鈥檚 your place because you鈥檙e too cool! Make sure she stocks up the bar before you get there or you鈥檒l have problems getting booze. Think ahead buddy!

Registered
I really don't expect you to listen or even consider what I have to say because I was 18 once and had kids that were 18.

Do not get any handguns untill you are at least 21 and living on your own. Do not bring any guns into your mothers place.

Registered
Take the handgun and any others guns you want to your moms house. I see a win win here. She gets popped for the guns and you live the single life in a sweet place. No nagging mom telling you what to do. You can convince all the girls it鈥檚 your place because you鈥檙e too cool! Make sure she stocks up the bar before you get there or you鈥檒l have problems getting booze. Think ahead buddy!
Except he might get popped for allowing a felon access to a gun.

Registered
If the gov't can search her residence at any time she must still be on probation or parole. Definitely a recipe for disaster.

I used to work with a guy, Ed, that had an ex-con brother in law. He did like a 20 yr stretch for armed robbery when he was a kid. I always asked about him because recidivism is high. He is black so the deck is stacked against him. I thought Ed was less than helpful and always asked if I could do anything for the guy as I was cheering for him. At one point he asked Ed to help him buy a gun 'for protection' of course he said no. I can't do the story justice in this short space but the moral of the story is. The guy seems to have beat the odds. A gun could have messed all that up for him. He learned to drive a truck and married a teacher. He's been out for 5 yrs or so. Don't know what the stats are but that seems long enough to consider him a success story and it puts a smile on my face.

Reactions: Coalcracker

Registered
I had a neighbor once who had a FFL and his son lived with him after he did time for murder, The guy ended up losing his FFL because he had no real shop, just one of those kitchen table FFL's we used to hear about. As far as i know they still live in the same house and the father has guns. As far as what you can do or should do especially moving from one state to another i can't say.

Last Stand on Earth
Let me tell you something kid, just don鈥檛. I hope you listen. I was a head strong kid myself and let me tell you, it doesn鈥檛 pay. What you do now will haunt you forever. Cops don鈥檛 play around when guns are involved. They aren鈥檛 going to care about your story. They aren鈥檛 going to care you are a kid. If anything even smells funny, they are going to take that gun and throw you and you mom in the pokey. Mark my words, don鈥檛 do it. If not for yourself, do it for your mom. If she gets racked for a 5 -10 year sentence for possession, you鈥檒l never forgive yourself. If you get racked and can never own a gun ever again, you鈥檒l never forgive yourself. Prison isn鈥檛 a joke, you get locked in there with the worst of the worst. People die in there, people get raped in there and worse, especially young kids. Don鈥檛 play with fire, you will get burned.

Registered
Let me tell you something kid, just don鈥檛. I hope you listen. I was a head strong kid myself and let me tell you, it doesn鈥檛 pay. What you do now will haunt you forever. Cops don鈥檛 play around when guns are involved. They aren鈥檛 going to care about your story. They aren鈥檛 going to care you are a kid. If anything even smells funny, they are going to take that gun and throw you and you mom in the pokey. Mark my words, don鈥檛 do it. If not for yourself, do it for your mom. If she gets racked for a 5 -10 year sentence for possession, you鈥檒l never forgive yourself. If you get racked and can never own a gun ever again, you鈥檒l never forgive yourself. Prison isn鈥檛 a joke, you get locked in there with the worst of the worst. People die in there, people get raped in there and worse, especially young kids. Don鈥檛 play with fire, you will get burned.
Very good advice right there. ^^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
"So this is complicated..." ......... When they start like that, it's because people have made it complicated. This issue is not complicated at all. Straw purchase, illegal ownership, transport across state lines, providing felon access to a firearm, felon in possession of a handgun/firearm (I've probably left something out)... BANG! the gavel hits the desk... Now the whole family can visit each other through the bars.

Alan

Registered
For all the very justifiable negativity on this thread, I do think there is a way to do this legally, but again, get a lawyer in Missouri and follow his instructions to the letter. It will probably involve the gun always, 24/7, either being in a safe she does not have access to, or on your person, no exceptions, ever. Being from MO, I can also say that where in MO you live can make a difference also. The best thing, of course, is to get your own place as soon as you can.

Banned
So this is complicated and I've looked everywhere for info on it but can't find it. So in idaho it's legal for persons between the age of 18-20 to possess a handgun, as well as purchase a handgun privately. I want to purchase a hand from a pawn shop, and my dad would do it for me, but here's where it gets tricky, in 2 months I'm moving to missouri to live with my mom, BUT she's a felon and can not legally possess firearms. Not only that but the government has the right to search the house at any given moment. So the obvious way around that is to have the handgun registered in my name, but I can't do that if I'm buying private in idaho, and I can't find a form anywhere that my dad could fill out transferring legal ownership to me. Am I just not going to be able to own a handgun till I'm 21, or is it there someway to register a handgun in my name at 18. Thanks 馃憤
If your mom is a felon And if she is on the federal registry of do not posses fire arms. You can't have one in her home. Because she would be able to access it. even if in a gun safe etc. Who you live with matters. its association under the same roof that is the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.