National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Pistoleer
53 Posts
Hyper velocity missiles is what Russia has been developing and Putin claimed multiple times that it was impossible to intercept one. I bet they are very concerned about this. Yes this is a very big breakthrough for us.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,307 Posts
As impressive as this is, I suspect the United States already has laser-based weapons that can do the same function faster and cheaper.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,464 Posts
Using kinetic energy, no explosives. Hits the target like a freight train at full speed.
Yeah, I've heard of those satellites with telephone pole size tungsten rods able to create more energy on impact than the bomb they used on Japan no radiation or anything just destruction

·
Registered
301 Posts
Darn, nothing but headlines and non-kaboom clips.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If anyone else the same problem I did.

Reactions: Kobs

·
AZHerper
3,741 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of those satellites with telephone pole size tungsten rods able to create more energy on impact than the bomb they used on Japan no radiation or anything just destruction
It would be interesting if they had as much energy as the Hiroshima bomb but they fall short by orders of magnitude. The Japanese bomb had energy equal to kilotons (thousands of tons) of TNT. The kinetic weapons have about 10-15 tons of equivalent energy.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It would be interesting if they had as much energy as the Hiroshima bomb but they fall short by orders of magnitude. The Japanese bomb had energy equal to kilotons (thousands of tons) of TNT. The kinetic weapons have about 10-15 tons of equivalent energy.
This is true. Rods from God will generate equivalent of 11.2 tons of tnt. Bomb dropped on Hiroshima was 15 kilotons of tnt.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,464 Posts
Still... don't drop one by mistake :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Laypeople don’t give the Palidan 105 Howitzer much thought or credit but it’s a formidable weapon on the modern battlefield. It’s able to rain down artillery with devastating power and accuracy. Mobile artillery has many types of ammunition available for almost any mission from illumination of the theater to offensive and defensive barrages.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Still... don't drop one by mistake :ROFLMAO:
I’ve heard their power is on par with a “tactical nuke”, whatever that means. I understand smaller explosions but that’ll make the whole area radio active for quite some time...

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,464 Posts
I’ve heard their power is on par with a “tactical nuke”, whatever that means. I understand smaller explosions but that’ll make the whole area radio active for quite some time...
Not with the rods, it's just the impact that creates the devastation a bit like a meteor impact Once the dust has come down it's as safe as a national park loll

EDIT: Copy pasted from here The Air Force's 'rods from god' could hit with the force of a nuclear weapon — with no fallout.

The rod itself would penetrate hundreds of feet into the Earth, destroying any potential hardened bunkers or secret underground sites. More than that, when the rod hits, the explosion would be on par with the magnitude of a ground-penetrating nuclear weapon — but with no fallout.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
guess i am still a "glass if half-empty" guy.....

artificial intelligience, cloud computing, algorithms.......seems complicated, technology-dependent, and therefore a house of cards.

·
Registered
301 Posts
guess i am still a "glass if half-empty" guy.....

artificial intelligience, cloud computing, algorithms.......seems complicated, technology-dependent, and therefore a house of cards.
Spot on.

Merely seven, that's right, just seven tactical, non-nuclear explosions utilizing shrapnel of different sizes at specific orbital heights could cripple a large number of our "secret" military satellites, which some of our ground/sea based weapon systems rely on these satellites wholly and completely to function effectively. Pretty much useless without them.

Make the explosions nuclear detonations and the US' near Earth orbiting intelligence is effectively off line for good. (Yes, they cripple their own too, but their SHTF stratagem has taken that into consideration too.)

An aside as far as low tech versus high tech: Not long after 09-11-2001, a retired US general was taken out of mothballs to lead the red side in a "red and blue" war game facsimile between the US and Iran. The scenario was the US sending an invasion force to Iran. Simply put, the retired general, who was known for and picked to lead the red side because he was NOT conventional when it came to his tactics, repeatedly and thoroughly handed the US invasion force their ass. (For example, he sunk every ship and even suck the ship(s) with the Marine invasion force on it.)

It became so embarrassing to the Pentagon brass that they had to bring out special Marine unicorns and magic Navy wands in order to be able to, get this, "refloat" the ships sunk by "Iran" and continue with the war game. Additionally, the red team general's staff started receiving orders from the "white cell," which were this war game's controllers, for the red team to stop shooting down blue team's, troop transport aircraft.

To top it off, when the general came up with a way for red team to not allow the blue team to find red team's hidden WMD program and assets, then white cell gave control of the "hide and seek" mission to a branch of the blue team, and shortly thereafter blue team was able to find the red team's (i.e., Iran's) WMD assets.

Knowing the fix was in and his hands were tied so as to let the Blue Team be successful no matter what occurred or how many times ships had to be "refloated," the general put himself on the sidelines and took notes in order to publish a scathing debrief after the end of the war game.

No, I a, not making it up, it was called "Operation: Millennium Challenge

Reactions: deputy and Philmo11

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, we have heard of them and understand how they work. But how do they get up there? The cost of getting such weapons up out of the gravity well and to a satellite platform is such that if such a weapon exists, it has incredibly few projectiles.

Concrete bomb JDAMS do nearly the same thing for a vastly smaller fraction of the cost....

As to the 'howitzer shoots down cruise missle', I'm not sure it's that surprising. Cruise missiles are airplane speed, this 'cruise'. It was the howitzer projectile that was traveling at Mach 5, rather than the missile. Cool, but no protection against Putin's alleged hypervelocity missiles that, so far, seem to be vapor builds.

MQ-9 Reaper, Howitzer, Rocket Toting F-16 All Shoot Down Mock Cruise Missiles In Huge Test

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
We have classified weapons capable of doing amazing things and so do they.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts