National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turn eighteen next month, and I'm going to make a trip to the sheriff's office on my birthday to pick up my permit. The very next day, I'm moving into an apartment a few hours away for college.

Very recently, I purchased a Kimber Custom TLE/RL II chambered in 10mm. Being as I am still inexperienced with the 10mm, I'd like some help with selecting which personal defense loads to try out.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Curious as to what state you live in that gives out permits at the age of 18 for a handgun.

Welcome from Missouri

·
1,796 Posts
I would recommend sticking with the major brands such as federal, Winchester, speer, hornady etc. Being that its a 10mm i would also try and get a bonded hollow point. Whatever you settle on make sure it functions 100% of the time in your kimber as they can be a little picky on hp's. Aside from that the other advice id give is not to use a 10mm for personal defense as it can be prone to over penetrating with full loads. I use my 10mm with 200gr hard cast lead loads when im in the woods but other then that its in the safe. You are responsible for every round that leaves your gun and in a apartment especially that should be something that you give some serious thought. Hope that helps and welcome to adulthood lol no going back now.

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Happy Birthday and welcome to the forum. As everybody else suggested go with a hollow point for self defense, all brands mentioned are good. Good luck with the search and I hope you never need to use them...

*Bonus points for owning a Kimber :thumbsup:*

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
And wait, If you're birthday in next month, how did you obtain the Kimber before turning 18?

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Ouch, serious violation of Federal law. Although it happens so much and is enforced so seldom that it's probably safe for you and your relative.

Do you have an interest in carrying this pistol concealed? This is a good place to ask about concealed carry, and I would think that concealed carry of a 10mm might be difficult.

Edit: P.S. That is a beautiful weapon and Kimber is the good stuff.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
If I may offer some advice---I`m an apartment manager and live on-site. A 10mm will penetrate not only your wall but your neighbors as well. Keep in mind that you are in very close proximity to innocent people who probably will not take kindly when a 10mm JHP comes zipping by into their apt while they are watching TV. I would recommend a shotgun with #4 shot ----a LOT less likely to penetrate into the neighbors and being arrested for negligent use of a firearm and second degree murder. That will ruin more than just your day. I have more types of firearms than I will list and my nightstand firearm is a 12 ga. sxs coach shotgun. Keep it contained! Welcome to adulthood.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
If I may offer some advice---I`m an apartment manager and live on-site. A 10mm will penetrate not only your wall but your neighbors as well. .
I've heard a lot of good things about Glazer 'safety' rounds, and it would be great it someone here could say something about them. Basically, the Glazers are supposed to mushroom on impact without a danger of 'shooting through'. I've also heard that US Air Marshals are armed with Glazers because they won't pop a hole in the airplane.

I've also heard that Glazer rounds open such a huge wound cavity that nobody would want to shoot anything else, anyhow.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,361 Posts
1. US Air Marshals do not use Glaser (or other pre-fragmented) ammunition. No series of handgun hardball or hollow point rounds fired through a commercial airframe can cause enough damage to lead to decompression.

2. While Glaser (and other pre-frag) rounds leave an ugly looking wound it is a very shallow and non-life threatening wound. A determined attacker will not be adversely effected.

3. Pre-fragmented ammuntion cannot penetrate deeply enough to be an effective self-defense choice.

4. Glaser ammunition enjoys good advertising.

There have been independent tests done proving my above statements numbers 2 & 3. I'm too lazy to look them up right now. Statement #1 is easily checked.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Welcome to fun and frolic of adulthood !! Like the man said 'There ain't no going back now.'
Ditto Hippy.
12 ga.SxS loaded with keg shaped roller bearings most folks around here drive large pickups. BUT I live in the middle of nowhere. My nearest neighbor is over 100 yards away on the other side of a stand of trees. My 10mm would still place them in danger if a round got loose.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I wouldn't be any more concerned with overpenetration with current 10mm factory loads than 9mm. Most of today's 10mm ammo is loaded to not much more power than 40 S&W because it is hard on the guns. There are some custom loads for hunting that are loaded to original 10mm, but the typical Federal, Winchester, etc. is not.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here is some general information. I don't see 10MM listed but you will gain good info by reading. There are many recommended/suggested brands and types for self defense.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Something that I've wondered about that someone might be able to answer. There apparently is no measurement of knock-down power. There are published specs for muzzle energy, velocity and measurements at various distances as well as the above gel-tests, etc.

What about rotation? I can't help but think rotation plays a factor once a bullet expands and has 6 burrs rotating at 60,000 rpm.

These are just arbitrary numbers - verify the numbers and calculations:
- Muzzle Velocity: 900' / second
- 900*12 = 10800" / second
- Rifling: 10" per rotation
- 10800/10=1080 rotations / second
- 1080 * 60 = 64800 RPM

I realize this rapidly slows as penetration begins but is it a factor in stopping a criminal?

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I wouldn't be any more concerned with overpenetration with current 10mm factory loads than 9mm. Most of today's 10mm ammo is loaded to not much more power than 40 S&W because it is hard on the guns. There are some custom loads for hunting that are loaded to original 10mm, but the typical Federal, Winchester, etc. is not.
What you say is true Win---but I would not want to fire a .380 or .32 in my apt--------walls thin and you share a common wall with the one next to you. I`m just looking at the apt aspect of it------- I know what a .45 acp does to walls that are well insulated and built--------I can imagine how far one would travel in an apt.------- it`s scary when your neighbor might be armed and not think far enough ahead to consider collateral damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll have a shotgun inside of the apartment. The Kimber is mostly going to be for carrying in my vehicle and in town. Concealment really won't be an issue.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I'll have a shotgun inside of the apartment. The Kimber is mostly going to be for carrying in my vehicle and in town. Concealment really won't be an issue.
Good for you! I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the potential danger when firing in close quarters. Carry on young man.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
The basic question seems still to be open -- if you're in an apartment building and your neighbor has his head near the wall, what can you safely shoot, from your apartment, straight at his head?

I'm not sure there's a round out there that's totally 'safe' in that respect, and still able to be a self-defense round. I hear from an earlier post that Glazer rounds are not good for self-defense. Maybe 10-gauge beanbag rounds? Pepperballs? Maybe not.

I like the .22lr, but that will go through two layers of 'sheet rock' (aka gypsum board, etc) like a hot knife through butter.

Maybe a .410 loaded with birdshot wouldn't kill your neighbor, but still incapacitate an intruder.

Of course, there's always the crossbow option...:wink:

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
If that was in that case, I would only shoot at close distance say 4ft or so, that would make me feel better,,,,,there is no good practice in a apartment, but what choice do you have with a true threat? Its damn if do, damn if you don't:crazy:

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,268 Posts
Some advice for the OP ......

Go take an NRA firearm safety course and learn how to safety handle a firearm. Even if you have already taken one in the past, a refresher course can only help.

After the class, go to your local range and practice with the 10mm and shotgun. Home or self defense is only as good, as you are in hitting the target.

dance014.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts