National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So today i was at a gun show, and of course there was a guy there with crates full of mosins, of every size, shape, and variant. He said $120 for any of them there, so of course i had to pick one up. I have done plenty of research on these things, and know what to look for. So i picked the one i thought to be the best and most original, and checked it out some more at home with some help from the internet. When i bought it it was still in the crate, buried in cosmoline, and he said he had never opened the crate before this show, and brings a few new crates every time. After all my research, iv'e come to the conclusion that it is a Tulla 91/30 (that was quite obvious) with completely original marks from what i can tell. The finish is almost perfect and untouched, all matching serial numbers, literally PERFECT bore, and wartime variations on all parts that would have had changes. (here's a list to help with identifying these things Soviet M91/30 ) My guess is that it was made in war time, got put in a crate, and somehow never made it back out until now. It also came with the bayonet, and of course i had to buy 3 "spam cans" of light ball, heavy ball, and red tip with black over top (what is this? I'm clueless :confused:) while i was at it. Anyone have any thoughts on this rifle? Mostly, could it be possible that it was made for war, got put in a crate, and just saw daylight again? If it was wartime and completely unused, is it still at normal value? I would think so but i'm unsure. It is literally almost mint condition except for a scratch on the grip.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,403 Posts
Although its possible, the odds are greatly stacked against it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'd say the black tip is "armor piercing" ammo, but I'd have to see a picture of it to tell you for certain.

If you want to gain a profit, sell it on an auction site. Mosins are going for $300 where I'm at.

I'd suggest keeping it though. $120 is a steal for a great condition Mosin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,887 Posts
AP/Incendiary cartridge

Reactions: AManAndHisGuns

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, that's how the API are marked.

As for being completely original WWII Tula, what year is it?

Look on the buttstock. Do you see a square with a diagonal line through it?

Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts