National Gun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
1,456 Posts
The only type of "Tactical" 10 gauge that was ever offered in my knowledge was the Ithaca Mag-10 "Roadblocker". It was a variant of the Ithaca Mag-10 with a shorter barrel and a cylinder bore that they produced in the mid 70's. There is a lot of misinformation about the 10 gauge, and in particular it's recoil. In actuality the 3 1/2" 10 gauge produces less recoil than a 3 1/2" 12 gauge. The reason is because it has a larger bore diameter. This is the same reason Trap guns are sold with lengthend forcing cones. Lengthening them reduces the recoil of the given gun. The 10 Gauge also patterns better because of this. Another reason the 10 gauge is "better" than a 12 Ga. 3 1/2" is because it has a shorter shot string. This means more pellets on a fast crossing moving target, especially at longer ranges, (pass shooting ducks and geese). The reason you see so many more 12 gauge 3 1/2" inch guns as opposed to 10 gauge 3 1/2" is because the 10 gauge requires it's own larger, more robust action. A 3 1/2" 12 gauge can be made on existing 12 gauge 3" actions, which are a dime a dozen. Therefore only Browning and Remington offer them in pumps and autos. Remington bought the rights to the Ithaca Mag-10 I mentioned earlier, and now produces them in their name. Many of the parts are interchangable from the 2 guns. I own and shoot 2, 10 gauge magnums, a side by side Churchill Windsor Grade, and an H&R Single Shot. The H&R and the old Marlin bolt action "Goose Gun" 10 gauge magnum is the reason many shooters think the recoil is worse in the 10 gauge. Both the H&R and the Marlin are way too light for a magnum 10. Hence, they both kick like mules. The Remington SP-10 is a very nice shooting gun. I had the opportunity to fire one a few years back, and I own 12's that recoil far more. Hope this helps. Bill T.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.