National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a nice tactical 10 gauge pump. I am interested in getting a 10 gauge pump but dont know much about them or who makes them. Should I look into a 10 gauge or just go with 12 gauge 3 1/2" shells???

-Derek

G

·
0 Posts
you will tear your arm off with that :p
I had an H&R 10 gauge turkey special, I was praying for the turkeys to stay away.
The kick will knock you on your ass, add a pump to that and say goodbye to your arm.

G

·
0 Posts
Go with the 12 because you can use standard rounds and 3 1/2. The 10 hurts in all sizes :cry:

E

·
0 Posts
What kind of Tac crew use a 10ga? I us 3" Mags through my Rem 870smX Obviously I could go to 3-1/2"but wont,if someones close enough to see the whites of there eyes,You dont need 10ga ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eXXit said:
What kind of Tac crew use a 10ga? I us 3" Mags through my Rem 870smX Obviously I could go to 3-1/2"but wont,if someones close enough to see the whites of there eyes,You dont need 10ga ;)
Hasn't the military used 10 gauge platforms in the past??? Like I said I am not overly familiar with 10 gauges at all. I am honestly just looking for something with some serious punch and when I saw that 10 gauge slugs are 1 3/4oz at 1200+fps I figured that fit the bill pretty well. ;)

-Derek

·
Banned
818 Posts
First off, I have never heard of any of the five branches of the US Military ever adopting any 10 gauge shotgun. Second of all, you are lucky to even find 10 gauge slugs. I never seen them before and I'm a shotgun addict.

Honestly, a 10 gauge is not the worst recoil you'll ever feel. I know you're asking for a 10 gauge pump, but I recommend the Browning Gold in 10 gauge. I went turkey hunting with my uncle and cousins before with that bad boy. Only thing is 10 gauges are heavy to carry around all day. It's not too bad to shoot, but like any other hard kicking gun, it gets annoying after awhile.

E

·
0 Posts
Maser said:
you are lucky to even find 10 gauge slugs. I never seen them before and I'm a shotgun addict.
Me to ;) stick with whats been said I didnt know bout a 10ga slug... :cool: &thanks :!:

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
xjedix said:
Does anyone make a nice tactical 10 gauge pump. I am interested in getting a 10 gauge pump but dont know much about them or who makes them. Should I look into a 10 gauge or just go with 12 gauge 3 1/2" shells???

-Derek
Hi Derek, what is it that you would need a 10 guage tactical for? I was just wondering because it would help to answer your question. As for me personally, I would stay with the 12 ga because of cost, variety and availability of ammunition. When I was active, the Marines issued 12 ga pumps one of the best all purpose firearms IMHO.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest it would be simply for the thrill of it. As of now I have decided to stick with the 12 gauge platform simply because of the cost and availability of ammo. I figure if I want something with some punch I'll just get some 12ga 3" shells.

-Derek

E

·
0 Posts
10ga same length as a 12ga Super Mag (diameter slightly bigger on a 10) like bat said easier to get ammo 4...

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The only type of "Tactical" 10 gauge that was ever offered in my knowledge was the Ithaca Mag-10 "Roadblocker". It was a variant of the Ithaca Mag-10 with a shorter barrel and a cylinder bore that they produced in the mid 70's. There is a lot of misinformation about the 10 gauge, and in particular it's recoil. In actuality the 3 1/2" 10 gauge produces less recoil than a 3 1/2" 12 gauge. The reason is because it has a larger bore diameter. This is the same reason Trap guns are sold with lengthend forcing cones. Lengthening them reduces the recoil of the given gun. The 10 Gauge also patterns better because of this. Another reason the 10 gauge is "better" than a 12 Ga. 3 1/2" is because it has a shorter shot string. This means more pellets on a fast crossing moving target, especially at longer ranges, (pass shooting ducks and geese). The reason you see so many more 12 gauge 3 1/2" inch guns as opposed to 10 gauge 3 1/2" is because the 10 gauge requires it's own larger, more robust action. A 3 1/2" 12 gauge can be made on existing 12 gauge 3" actions, which are a dime a dozen. Therefore only Browning and Remington offer them in pumps and autos. Remington bought the rights to the Ithaca Mag-10 I mentioned earlier, and now produces them in their name. Many of the parts are interchangable from the 2 guns. I own and shoot 2, 10 gauge magnums, a side by side Churchill Windsor Grade, and an H&R Single Shot. The H&R and the old Marlin bolt action "Goose Gun" 10 gauge magnum is the reason many shooters think the recoil is worse in the 10 gauge. Both the H&R and the Marlin are way too light for a magnum 10. Hence, they both kick like mules. The Remington SP-10 is a very nice shooting gun. I had the opportunity to fire one a few years back, and I own 12's that recoil far more. Hope this helps. Bill T.

S

·
0 Posts
Guys, guys, guys... you're going about this all wrong.

Xjedix, a 10-gauge pump is just fine. The reason that these guys are telling you to stay away from it is that they don't know how to handle the gun. This is proven by the fact that each and every one of them talk about how you'll tear your arm off with it. This just isn't the case at all.

It is merely a matter of proper placement. What you want to do is hold the 10-gauge lower than you would a 12, 16 or 20-gauge shotgun. I recommend holding it against your crotch. Then, pull the trigger.

You'll find that each and every time you shoot a 10-gauge this way, you'll never have pain in your shoulder. I guarantee it.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts

-Derek

I only know about The single/double 10 ga's...and of course the mighty Ithica Mag-10 Roadblocker or the standard mag-10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts