National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so here's what I have so far. I'm planning a custom build from the ground up and I want to figure out exactly what I want before buying anything. Here's my notes, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Firstly - what is the primary purpose? - SHTF/Survival gun for backpacking/camping/etc
Stealth/camoflauge and weight are a priority

Style- Takedown 10/22

Stock- Magpul backpacker
Stock Color? [Coyote tan, olive drab, or stealth grey]
Leaning towards either tan or drab.
Cheek riser- Will this hinder or help with a scope/tech sights?

Trigger job - poundage? I'm thinking 3-4.
Edit - brimstone 'sweetspot' tier 2 - 2-2.5lbs
Stock gun has 5-5.5lb pull.

Barrel - bull? Fluted? Standard? [no threads]
Color - Black - NO SILVER
How many rds can I send down range before a standard barrell becomes overheated?
Floating or fixed?

-Sights- iron, aftermarket tech sights/red dot/scope? -
1.Tech sights[model?]
2.Quick detach scope [Size? Power?]

Sling - 3 point? Dual point? Attachment location?
Extended Mag release
Bolt buffer for noise surpression
Extended charging handle
Modified bolt release

No 'tacticool' bullshit. No flashlight. Function over form.
I'm located in NY. So that elminates a lot of cool options like threaded barrel, flash suppressors, and silencers.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
i am of the old school..........."less is more".........or as they say, the KISS principle.......

i would get a std take-down with the supplied carry case, and then purchase a few more mags and feed it nothing but CCI mini-mag ammo.......

that is purty much it

keep it short, keep it light weight....

if you want to sling it all the time then there is not much point to the take-down model or the little special carry case that ruger supplies.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,336 Posts
To quote a line from the movie "Jaws", "You're gonna need a bigger gun."

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
I'll add get some spare 10 rd mags and a trimag coupler. I have the coupler for mine. I like it a lot. I was going to get a 25 round mag. But read more negative reports on them vs good.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
if ruger would make the American compact bolt rimfire in a take-down.....that would be interesting.....i could shoot all the CB Longs and other quiet rounds and not have to worry about a suppressor.

·
Live Free
2,889 Posts
To my thinking, the standard out of the box 10/22 is just fine for any occasion. It is short enough to be quick handling without the takedown version. Make sure you got plenty of mags (10 rd), and know how to maintain them. Mine currently sports a scope, but can easily be removed and go with sights. You can spruce it up here and there or go with a takedown version, but in the end, all you really want is a simple rifle with sling, mags and ammo. I really prefer a CZ 455 or 457 as it is a bolt gun and far more accurate out of the box.

BTW, I don’t think you can load mags fast enough to overheat a 10/22 barrel.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
BTW, I don’t think you can load mags fast enough to overheat a 10/22 barrel.[/QUOTE]

I know you can't over heat them. Back in the 70's I hooked two of the 10/22's up to an off set cam, and servo motor. I have no idea what the cyclic rate of fire was. The guns never jammed with 50 round magazines loaded with cci .22 LR mini mags.
I do admit I had to diddle with the switch to control the rpm's of the motor. It still beat the hell out of the rate my trigger finger could fire the little Rugers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have a ruger 10/22 with a red dot and a couple mods - quick bolt release, aftermarket rail, drilled sling...

I've taken what you guys have said into consideration. With that said I'll be going with tech sights instead of a scope. Itll save on weight and space.

I'll also go with a standard barrel rather than a bull.

So, olive drab or coyote tan stock, black standard barrel, tech sights, and probably a 3 point paracord sling just for shits and gigs.

The standard trigger group is crunchy on the stock .22. I'll deff be getting a tier 2 job done on it.

I'm not a fan of the silver stock barrel. Now if only I could find a way to blacken it....

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
I’m a missing something? A .22 for SHTF? Ok for getting some small game. Does that really qualify as a SHTF gun? I’ll admit that if we were in a true SHTF situation, I’d like to have one somewhere in the armory for select tasks like small game hunting but not defense. I’d have a good scoped .22 like my Savage GLII. I can hit empty shotgun shells at 60 yards with that.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
i think there has been books and articles written on the virtues of the 22 rimfire for long term shtf scenarios......have read a few......they are logical and make some very valid points and arguments in favor of the 22.

but.........

i do not believe in long term/mad max scenarios......i consider them the stuff of movies and fairy tales....
my shtf scenarios are short term and in my views realistic.......i will stay with the 12 and 38. for their own virtues.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m a missing something? A .22 for SHTF? Ok for getting some small game. Does that really qualify as a SHTF gun? I’ll admit that if we were in a true SHTF situation, I’d like to have one somewhere in the armory for select tasks like small game hunting but not defense. I’d have a good scoped .22 like my Savage GLII. I can hit empty shotgun shells at 60 yards with that.
There's not many animals around here that could walk away from a .22 rd to the head. But anyway, I'm not looking to have a debate on why it would or wouldn't make a good SHTF gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts