National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 10/22 plinker. I'll be shooting at 20-50 yards at 2-4 inch targets(cans and spinner targets and whatnot). Would a bull barrel be necessary for that kind of accuracy?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Using Remington Sub Sonics I get 1 to 2 inch groups at 50m (4x scope, bench) with a stock gun I bought for $169 for Dicks Sporting goods two years ago.

With a cheaper round like the Remington Thunderbolt I get 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 50m. (The Hyper Rounds like Mini Mag and Vyper are really inaccurate at 50m, 4 to 5 inch groups)

I love the look of the bull barrel, but for me, it's just a look.

To make my 10/22 more accurate, I'm going to buy a better trigger and try match rounds.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I dont believe bull barrels are neccessarily more accurate, they have a thicker walled barrel which reduces warping from heating of the barrel after constant shooting/plinking. I guess then they would be a little more accurate after you shot the piss out of you rifle. They sure do look cool too.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
The .920" bull barrels are pretty much a necessity for me shooting silhouette. It's the weight of it shooting standing with no sling. Helps hold the rifle more stable. And yes----they look cool, and most HB's are a match chamber--with that little edge in accuracy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is no reason a R :lol: uger 10/22 can't shoot inside a quarter at 100yds right out of the box. that is, unless you left the safety on...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bull barrels dissipate heat much better than standard.metal expands as it gets hot opening up the rifling slightly effecting accuracy.so you should be able to shoot more rounds with the same groups.bull barrels balance better as well just a pain to carry all day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts